Need Advice on New Lens

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Cameras
I really think I need to pick up some faster glass, probably 2.8. I recently bought a 70-300 VR that I'm happy with, but I would like some better glass for landscapes and for closer, generally stationary, objects (fences, trees, doors, flowers, etc.), but also for pet photos. Here are samples of my typical subjects. I don't know if one lens would be feasible, so feel free to make suggestions for multiple lenses that would help with these subjects. I can only buy one right now, but I'd like to know what would help improve my work in these kinds of subjects. Would like to keep it under $800.

I have 3 zooms, so I'm thinking about a prime. All my lenses are Nikkor.

I found this thread that has some good comments on portrait lenses like 50mm 1.8 and a 105. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=121829
I had previously considered a 105 macro; tried it at the store and liked it but went for the longer zoom instead.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Lauren

1. Fairly typical of my landscape shots, though often I go wider with 18-55 zoom.
489808963_ygtoB-S.jpg

2. Typical of the subject, comp, and distance for my outdoor object shots
349349172_2t6oh-S-2.jpg

3. My current favorite shooting location (Botanical Gardens) and a favorite shot
440718139_BhmTF-S.jpg

4. This was at 200mm with a zoom, but I could get closer if a prime would be good
363594658_yA26n-S-3.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 16, 2009
    Lauren,

I do think you could make good use of a couple of primes. The Nikkor 50mm, f1.8D is a great value and I think everyone who shoots Nikon should have one, just because.

Then, if you can find a good copy of the Nikkor 28mm, f1.4D I think that makes a very good selection for a moderate wide-angle on the Nikon D80.

If you want something more versatile in a zoom then I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]. It is much better than the "kit" zoom you own and would be a considerable upgrade. AF is a little slow, but otherwise it compares nicely with the much, much more expensive Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 G IF-ED DX.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Thanks, Ziggy! I like your suggestion that all Nikon shooters should have one "because." :D It's also something I can buy right now, like this week! I appreciate your info on the Tamron also. I keep looking at ads for the Nikkor 17-55 but all I do is look. It's good to know there is a proven alternative.

I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 17, 2009
    I ordered the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF--it will arrive in a week. Yea!!

Thanks again, Ziggy!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I ordered the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF--it will arrive in a week. Yea!!

Thanks again, Ziggy!

good choice! thumb.gif
    //Leah
    edited March 17, 2009
    Thanks, Leah! I just visited your site and left you a comment. I enjoyed my tour!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    So many options, you picked a good one to start...
    Hi Lauren! I think you made an excellent choice for your first prime. Enjoy it! It will work well in dimly lit gyms, and other low light conditions. There are a couple of other primes you might consider next. The 85mm f/2.8 is a great lens and can be had on the ebay/craigslist market very affordably. I really like the focal length and the lens is a convenient size. I also like the 60mm f/2.8 micro (Nikon's macro). It too is reasonably priced and very well reviewed. It works great for portraits, pet shots, and macro work. I have the 17-55mm nikkor and rarely carry it. It is a great lens but it is pretty bulky. The feet make excellent "zoom instruments". All of these primes will work well on any future full frame camera you might buy. The 17-55mm will be obsolete if you go full frame some day.

My colleagues shoot great images using third party lenses, it must be the photographer. Because I feel I get better results overall with Nikon "Legendary" glass.

best wishes - Tom
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
    edited March 18, 2009
    Thanks, Tom. I looked at the 60mm 2.8 macro when I was perusing the Internet yesterday. I don't do any human portrait work but I do take pet shots quite often and you said it would be good for that. Is it a good outdoor lens? I very rarely shoot indoors (and when I do, I rarely get any "keepers") so all my glass needs to be good for outdoor work. I would like to learn more about macro, so it sounds like the 60mm might be helpful for multiple reasons.

Now, if someone could tell me the best lens for shooting at high noon in South Texas, I'd be really happy!! mwink.gif

LB

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks, Tom. I looked at the 60mm 2.8 macro when I was perusing the Internet yesterday. I don't do any human portrait work but I do take pet shots quite often and you said it would be good for that. Is it a good outdoor lens? I very rarely shoot indoors (and when I do, I rarely get any "keepers") so all my glass needs to be good for outdoor work. I would like to learn more about macro, so it sounds like the 60mm might be helpful for multiple reasons.

Now, if someone could tell me the best lens for shooting at high noon in South Texas, I'd be really happy!! mwink.gif

LB

I've the 60mm Nikkor Macro and it's a LOVELY lens. goes great outdoors too, including portraits of people (shoulders/head) and other such.
    //Leah