The Kotel

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited May 31, 2005 in People
The Western Wall in the midst of the Old City in Jerusalem is the section of the Western supporting wall of the Temple Mount which has remained intact since the destruction of the Second Jerusalem Temple (70 C.E.). It became the most sacred spot in Jewish religious and national consciousness and tradition by virtue of its proximity to the Western Wall of the Holy of Holies in the Temple, from which, according to numerous sources, the Divine Presence never departed.

Friday afternooon, a few hours before The Sabbath...

23412838-M.jpg

23412806-M.jpg

23267585-M.jpg

Canon 20D w/Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Nir
    Very nice set clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Liked the way yor processed these
    #2 is my favorite thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    hey Nir, nice shots. I was in Jerusalem as a child and visited this site. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories thumb.gif

Shay
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Thanks guys!

This one is my favorite -

23412838-M.jpg

Canon 20d with Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM @ ISO400, F8 1/320, 80mm

ISO400 was my mistake (coming out of shades I forgot to reset it). It was slightly over but I selectively brightened it some more. It kind of hides the details of the stones on the wall and focuses the attention on the ultra-orthodox man himself and his prayer. I like that. I wish I had more of his face but I didn't feel comfortable sticking myself between him and G_d.

(About 2 weeks with the 20d and I miss the 828's wide lens. Rob a bank?)

The 'shtreimel' he's wearing on his head is fox fur and worn only on holidays and the Sabbath. The black robe, I am told, is pure silk. Each of the many different religious sects have a different dress code - each code a tradition unchanged for many many years.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Nir, my friend... I have been waiting for these... Pictures with your new camera.

I really like the Rabbi in the first photo... The over exposed shot give the effect of "illumination of prayer."

I would really love to be able to have you lead me on a guided photo tour. Still looking for the day. I think I better get a "real" camera first. lol3.gif

Do you have any shots of the Jordan river? Just curious.

Keep them coming.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery