Options

Workers Camp (for Ginette and everyone else)

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited May 23, 2004 in Holy Macro
Special Request

3467836-L.jpg

3467837-L.jpg

3467839-L.jpg

3840806-L.jpg

3840810-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2004
    That does look rather grim. Do they live there permanently?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Hey Sid

They go where the work is. In this example, a complex of villas is being built. The workers build these temporary shanty towns and live there until the work is done. These people have been living next to me since October. The conditions are squalid to say the least.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Wow. Not only living in squalor, but nowhere to call home either. Rough.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    Amazing pictures Damon... as far as I'm concerned you can't show us too many.. I'd love to see more, I look forward to seeing them very much.
    Lynnbowdown.gif
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Damon,
    Everytime I view your work, I find myself being drawn in further and further. I am amazed at the conditions of life there, in Shanghai, at least for those who would be considered "impoverished." I can hardly imagine raising a child under those conditions, and yet I realize that many of these people are thankful to have the job at all. Sadder still is that the government controls so much there for the masses. I suspect that they may have few chances at betterment, or ever even moving on from the conditions they are born into.

Your photos touch on those every day moments. Life encapsulized in a moment of time. Yet, even living in those conditions, most of the faces seem relatively content.

I like the way you capture these moments, without seeming to intrude. I never tire of looking at them, and find myself viewing the photos many time, looking for the small details.

When you get back to the states, I would love to get together and have the opportunity to view all of the work you've done.

I look forward to more view of Shanghai...

Hi Lida!

I remain, as always,
    ginette

3467836-L.jpg

3467837-L.jpg

3467839-L.jpg
    [/QUOTE]
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."