Need help with 4 generation photo

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in People
I am pretty new to photograhy but my mother has enough appreciation to ask me to do a 4 generation of men family portrait...to include a 5month old. I haven't been able to find any good examples of men poses for this type of work...I don't want to dissapoint. Does anyone have this type of work to share?? Or masucline family portrait examples. Thank you, so much for any imput. I would like to see some non formal also if you have them...thanks again :bow

Becky
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I am pretty new to photograhy but my mother has enough appreciation to ask me to do a 4 generation of men family portrait...to include a 5month old. I haven't been able to find any good examples of men poses for this type of work...I don't want to dissapoint. Does anyone have this type of work to share?? Or masucline family portrait examples. Thank you, so much for any imput. I would like to see some non formal also if you have them...thanks again bowdown.gif

Becky

Well I have NEVER done anything of this sort, but I see you have some views and no replies so I will offer something!

This could go real bad real quick if it isn't done with caution and care in a couple of regards.

1-Where?

With 4 generations there is surely to be a homestead or some place where the family gathers that has some sentimental draw for all of the folks involved. A grand parent's home?....great grandparent's home?...family farm?...barn?....fishing camp? A place that all of them feel at home and have in common?

2-Clothing?

It would be simple to tell them to all wear jeans and white shirts...but it will look REALLY phony. Instead you should open the color palette up a little more. Make sure they all wear darker tones for pants and lighter tones for their shirts. Casual. Maybe a few differing shades of blue, along with khaki and white. As long as the colors are from that palette, tight plaids or subtle stripes will be okay. Mix it up. Dont want it to look like they all dressed off the same hanger.

3- Posing?

Some groupings...maybe on the front steps to one of those places?...would be fine.....just think in terms of triangles and diamond shaped formations. Be cautious of too formal posing. Let it be loose and relaxed. Be sure to set something up for candids while they are all dressed. A game of horse shoes on the lawn?

Good luck!:D
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well I have NEVER done anything of this sort, but I see you have some views and no replies so I will offer something!

This could go real bad real quick if it isn't done with caution and care in a couple of regards.

1-Where?

With 4 generations there is surely to be a homestead or some place where the family gathers that has some sentimental draw for all of the folks involved. A grand parent's home?....great grandparent's home?...family farm?...barn?....fishing camp? A place that all of them feel at home and have in common?

2-Clothing?

It would be simple to tell them to all wear jeans and white shirts...but it will look REALLY phony. Instead you should open the color palette up a little more. Make sure they all wear darker tones for pants and lighter tones for their shirts. Casual. Maybe a few differing shades of blue, along with khaki and white. As long as the colors are from that palette, tight plaids or subtle stripes will be okay. Mix it up. Dont want it to look like they all dressed off the same hanger.

3- Posing?

Some groupings...maybe on the front steps to one of those places?...would be fine.....just think in terms of triangles and diamond shaped formations. Be cautious of too formal posing. Let it be loose and relaxed. Be sure to set something up for candids while they are all dressed. A game of horse shoes on the lawn?

Good luck!:D

wow, thats an extrememly generous reply...thank you! I will heed all advice as it sounds perfect. Would you be willing to critique the finished product??
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Hi Becky!

Jeff has given you some really good tips.

I suggest you go to the Wedding forum and look at group photos taken at weddings. Granted, folks tend to be dressed up, etc. and you don't usually see cross-generational (is that a term??) pix, but there are lots of posing ideas for men. What to do with their hands, angles, etc.

You might find this thread useful, for example.

Good luck and be sure to post the results!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 16, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Becky!

Jeff has given you some really good tips.

I suggest you go to the Wedding forum and look at group photos taken at weddings. Granted, folks tend to be dressed up, etc. and you don't usually see cross-generational (is that a term??) pix, but there are lots of posing ideas for men. What to do with their hands, angles, etc.

You might find this thread useful, for example.

Good luck and be sure to post the results!!

Virginia

Oh thank you virginia! I will visit there tonight...what a good idea :)

Beckythumb.gif
    edited April 23, 2009
    follow up 4 generations of men
    3455107277_a546f5b805.jpg?v=0

3447065233_b1b54d7782.jpg?v=0
    3455107569_a78a2ca653.jpg?v=0

Okay so these men are family... but my mother was planning this months in advance. At the last minute... my nephews mother had to take the baby some place and I was left with 13 minutes to group and shoot. Here is some of what I was able to do... thank you for the imput everyone... what do you think of how these turned out?? And HERE is the full Easter set