Options

Need Tips & Ideas for a 15th Shoot Tomorrow

aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Technique
Hey all,

Well I am doing a shoot tomorrow that will consist of a Quinceanera (kinda like a sweet16) they where the big dresses and all...

I am doing this as a favor to my cousin, but still want the shots to come out ok, you know...

We will be on location at a beautiful park filled with all sorts of blooms and scenery so I know I can get some really great shots with the backgrounds..

I just want to know if you have any suggestions or ideas? I don't have a flash, but am willing to go get one. Which do you think would be a best fit for a Nikon D90? And is there anything else I should consider taking with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Nikon D90
Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
SB-600 Flash

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    Hey all,

Well I am doing a shoot tomorrow that will consist of a Quinceanera (kinda like a sweet16) they where the big dresses and all...

I am doing this as a favor to my cousin, but still want the shots to come out ok, you know...

We will be on location at a beautiful park filled with all sorts of blooms and scenery so I know I can get some really great shots with the backgrounds..

I just want to know if you have any suggestions or ideas? I don't have a flash, but am willing to go get one. Which do you think would be a best fit for a Nikon D90? And is there anything else I should consider taking with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Maybe the "On Location Senior Portrait" tips in my signature will help? Maybe?
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Maybe the "On Location Senior Portrait" tips in my signature will help? Maybe?

Thanks, I actuall read that and grabbed a few tips... Very helpful information...

Thanks again...

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Options
    bukanzabukanza Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    I'm not familiar with Nikon flashes, but an external strobe flash with a diffuser held off to the side via an off-camera cable will do wonders, even outside.
  • Options
    ScrubsScrubs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Depends on your budget and needs, but if you don't need all the bells and whistles that come with a newer model save your self some money.

If you were to use this 'on camera' I would probably suggest one of the Nikon speedlite (SB) range. The SB-800 is highly regarded, but they can get pretty pricey (especially the newer models).

But IMO on camera flash looks very dull. I would save yourself some money and get some far better photos with an off camera manual flash and a single shoot through umbrella - cheap, versatile and compact. This way it doesent really matter as much to which you use.

You won't have auto modes like you would if it was on camera but it will allow for some more interesting shots. there are many you can
    buy that would do the job as long as they have some means of manualy controlling the power (and most do) The only thing to be aware
    of is -

some of the older flashes are not voltage safe to use with your camera (even by PC cord) without a little gadget that slips into your hot shoe - called a 'Wein safesync' and they are pretty pricey too. but this wouldent be a problem if you were also to invest in some cheap wireless triggers. Buying an old Nikon speedlite would save some cash and will ensure you have the option of using it on camera if need be

Have you read the 'Lighting 101' here -
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

It will give you far more usable advice that I could summarise in one thread.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2009
    Scrubs wrote:
    Depends on your budget and needs, but if you don't need all the bells and whistles that come with a newer model save your self some money.

If you were to use this 'on camera' I would probably suggest one of the Nikon speedlite (SB) range. The SB-800 is highly regarded, but they can get pretty pricey (especially the newer models).

But IMO on camera flash looks very dull. I would save yourself some money and get some far better photos with an off camera manual flash and a single shoot through umbrella - cheap, versatile and compact. This way it doesent really matter as much to which you use.

You won't have auto modes like you would if it was on camera but it will allow for some more interesting shots. there are many you can
    buy that would do the job as long as they have some means of manualy controlling the power (and most do) The only thing to be aware
    of is -

some of the older flashes are not voltage safe to use with your camera (even by PC cord) without a little gadget that slips into your hot shoe - called a 'Wein safesync' and they are pretty pricey too. but this wouldent be a problem if you were also to invest in some cheap wireless triggers. Buying an old Nikon speedlite would save some cash and will ensure you have the option of using it on camera if need be

Have you read the 'Lighting 101' here -
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

It will give you far more usable advice that I could summarise in one thread.

thanks for the info... yea i looked on the site pretty useful information...

thankgs

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash