Canon 50D and 540EZ flash

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited March 16, 2009 in Cameras
Is the 540EZ flash compatible and safe for use with a 50D?

Super quick check seems to show that the 540EZ can act as a master. Can it act as a master to a 430EX?
What is A-TTL and does it differ from E-TTL?
Would the 430 still work in TTl mode if acting as as lave to the 540?

If I get the 540EZ it is likely to be used mostly in conjuction with the 430EX for multiple flash setups and as an alternative to other flash controllers.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 16, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Is the 540EZ flash compatible and safe for use with a 50D?

Super quick check seems to show that the 540EZ can act as a master. Can it act as a master to a 430EX?
    What is A-TTL and does it differ from E-TTL?
    Would the 430 still work in TTl mode if acting as as lave to the 540?

If I get the 540EZ it is likely to be used mostly in conjuction with the 430EX for multiple flash setups and as an alternative to other flash controllers.

I believe that the 540EZ would be a safe trigger voltage but it is not compatible with any of the Canon dSLR models. It is an older film flash only. It would probably flash but only at full output.

You need to look for the Canon "EX" series flashes, and then look at the latest flashes for full E-TTL II compatibility. (Or look at the Sigma EF 500 DG Super or EF 530 DG Super in the Canon E-TTL version.)

More information:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/ex_speedlites.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Ziggy is correct about everything but only being able to fire the 540ez at full power. In manual mode this flash is fully adjustable down to 1/128 power.

This is a great flash for off camera use (ala strobist).
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer