portrait project results

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in People
Angelo started the portrait project and organized pairs here in SoCal. I was assigned as the subject for Boolsacho a couple of weeks ago, but he graciously let me take a few of my own of him. I am primarily a sports shooter but am beginning to branch out into portraits, so would really love any and all feedback y'all can give. In particular, I'm interested in what you think of the posing/composition and the basic PP.

We met on the warmest day of the year (so far) in San Juan Capistrano, wandered around the historic district by the train tracks for a bit and then went into the mission.

I was using my Canon 40D w/ the 50 f/1.4. Flash was used on the 1st two.

#1 This is Boolsacho. Flash (430 EX) on camera.
493113389_xyaMM-L.jpg

493113712_zSsNQ-L.jpg

#3 at the mission

493115166_REvqs-L.jpg

493115516_vNZmc-L.jpg

493114530_Bg2be-L.jpg

#6 - is this too dark/saturated? And I was shooting through a "V" in a tree trunk; it the oof trunk too distracting?
493130917_Lr6S4-L.jpg

thanks for your comments!

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• SFGfxSFGfx Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Nice series. The last one looks fine on my monitor, and I like saturated images. The trunk, to me, doesn't distract too much. On the left, since the trunk follows the bricks of the arch, it seems like wall to me. Others may disagree, though.

Of them all, I think #3 is the winner, even though he has a sign growing out of his head. mwink.gif I would see about cloning it out if possible.

Got some keepers here. When do we see the shots of you? :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Nice job on these. I like #1 the best. The sign growing out of his head and the poor crop hurt #3 which could have been quite good.

I don't care for the last one. The OOF elements add nothing to the photo and are quite distracting.

I would have tried to use the elements of that interesting looking arch. I think that was your best vantage point.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    SFGfx wrote:
    Nice series. The last one looks fine on my monitor, and I like saturated images. The trunk, to me, doesn't distract too much. On the left, since the trunk follows the bricks of the arch, it seems like wall to me. Others may disagree, though.

Of them all, I think #3 is the winner, even though he has a sign growing out of his head. mwink.gif I would see about cloning it out if possible.

Got some keepers here. When do we see the shots of you? :D

SFGfx - thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. I hear you about that sign, 11doh.gif - wish I had noticed it before, b/c otherwise I think that's my favorite too. I might try to clone it out...

as far as where there are shots of me posted, Boolsacho did get one up here. Said he would get more up (not that I'm a great model or any thing:D )

C.
    Colleen

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Nice job on these. I like #1 the best. The sign growing out of his head and the poor crop hurt #3 which could have been quite good.

I don't care for the last one. The OOF elements add nothing to the photo and are quite distracting.

I would have tried to use the elements of that interesting looking arch. I think that was your best vantage point.

thanks Mitchell, it's nice to get a complement from the master of garage light :D

I'm curious, what don't you like specifically about the crop in #3? Is it that I cut off too much of his leg? Unfortunately, w/ the 50 on a 1.6 body, I backed up about as far as I could. Maybe I should have gotten lower down myself (I was already squatting...)

thanks also for your feedback on #6 (the last one). I did get get a couple others with the arch... Is this any better compositionally (I haven't pp'ed it yet)
    484099197_GfGJ5-L-1.jpg

C.
    Colleen

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    My problem with the crop on #3 is that you cut his leg right at his knee. As a general rule, these crops work better when they are not at a joint. Think mid-thigh or mid-calf. Not sure what else you could have done. Perhaps a tighter crop on #3 would work?
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    SFGfx wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

#3 is great, and could do w/ the slight cloning out of the one sign. Good set!
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I like 3 if the above is taken out and the camera wasn't there :).
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Excellent portraits

You did a great job!