Canon's IS lenses

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Cameras
Is it true from what I've heard in a store, (probably isn't true since it was a saleperson who said it) that if you use a tripod or hold the camera very steady while the image stabilizer is on, it will damage the lens and/or camera? I can't see how it could, but I wanted to check with you all.
ʞ1└0

Comments

• scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    Is it true from what I've heard in a store, (probably isn't true since it was a saleperson who said it) that if you use a tripod or hold the camera very steady while the image stabilizer is on, will it damage the lens and/or camera? I can't see how it could, but I wanted to check with you all.

I can't imagine that possibly being the case, and suspect the salesperson is an idiot. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Long exposures on a tripod, though, need to have the IS turned "off" or they will be blurry. Use it when you need it and turn it off when you don't.

John
    Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    I was wondering `cos if it were true, and I were to forget to turn it off while the camera was totally steady, I'd sure hate to be having to take it to the shop for repairs.
    ʞ1└0
  • scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    I was wondering `cos if it were true, and I were to forget to turn it off while the camera was totally steady, I'd sure hate to be having to take it to the shop for repairs.

Canon has a reputation for building a very robust product. I can't conceive a situation where they would market a product where use of one of the main features would lead to it's own early demise.

Before reading up on this and spending any time with my EOS, I tried some long exposures and couldn't understand why they were so blurry. I had the IS switched "on" and that was the culprit. Moving elements do just that!

I do think it's generally a good idea not to walk around all day with the button half-pushed (and the IS working), because moving parts do have a certain expected lifespan and why runout the clock..

John
    Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Don't always believe everything a salesperson tells you. IS does NOT damage the lens or camera when used on a tripod. It's just redundant in that situation and can become a vibration factor with long exposures as John already mentioned.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    First off, not all of Canon's IS are identical. Some of their image stabilized lenses recommend to not turn it on when on a tripod because the situation can result in what I understand to be a positive feedback loop and the IS gets out of whack. But from what I can tell this causes a blurry picture, not a damaged lens or camera. But some of their lenses actually "detect" when they are in an extremely stable situation (as a tri-pod would be) and switch to a new mode where the image stabilizer is trying to minimize shake caused by the mirror slap.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    First off, not all of Canon's IS are identical. Some of their image stabilized lenses recommend to not turn it on when on a tripod because the situation can result in what I understand to be a positive feedback loop and the IS gets out of whack. But from what I can tell this causes a blurry picture, not a damaged lens or camera. But some of their lenses actually "detect" when they are in an extremely stable situation (as a tri-pod would be) and switch to a new mode where the image stabilizer is trying to minimize shake caused by the mirror slap.

15524779-Ti.gif Additionally, some of the IS systems have a switch so you can turn off vertical stabilization when the camera/lens is used on a tripod so that tracking motion is stabilized.

When in doubt it's a good habit to just turn off the IS when the lens is mounted on a tripod. I would not be too concerned about damage and I have not read about anyone damaging their lens in the combination of optical IS and tripod, just running down the battery a lot faster if the system is caught in the "feedback loop" that Bill described above.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Is it okay to have it on while holding the camera still in my hands just incase I do move a bit? Will it still be blurry if by any chance I don't even move a muscle? Because ya never know, no matter how hard ya try to not move while holding the camera, you might move or ya might not.

Be back later. I'm out looking for a lens in town. Might get that 28-135mm for $285. I hope since it's not an L series that it can still take great pictures.
    ʞ1└0
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    Is it okay to have it on while holding the camera still in my hands just incase I do move a bit? Will it still be blurry if by any chance I don't even move a muscle? Because ya never know, no matter how hard ya try to not move while holding the camera, you might move or ya might not.

Be back later. I'm out looking for a lens in town. Might get that 28-135mm for $285. I hope since it's not an L series that it can still take great pictures.

A human has limitations of control that a tripod does not. By far a tripod is the best stabilization and much superior to optical/chip IS. (A tripod can stabilize effectively for hours if needed.) The only things a tripod lacks are convenience and maneuverability.

The IS that both Canon and Nikon use is designed to counteract human shake and they both do a remarkable job at it. IS is not a cure-all and you need to know when "not" to use it as much as when to use it.

IS systems do induce a slight delay before they "lock on" so you should not use IS with unpredictable subjects and when you need the best responsiveness. IS should often/generally be turned off when using a tripod (as we already discussed). IS does use battery power so you may want to shut it off for normal shooting if you want to conserve power. IS does produce sound so if you are shooting video with a still dSLR camera you may want to turn it off.

(I never thought I would ever make the statement "shooting video with a still dSLR camera". Go figure? mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Kilo wrote:

A great lens when you have lots of light (outdoors) thumb.gif Wonderful walk-around/street lens and it has IS and is not too heavy.

Having IS switched on but holding a camera still will not damage anything, but the harder you try to hold it still the more you will shake it mwink.gif I am under the impression that most IS lenses will use the camera battery power to power the IS, so if you are not actively using it you should shut it off - on the other hand keep in mind it requires a certain amount of time to work and is not instantaneous.
    ~ Lisa
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    IIRC, lenses with the first and the second generation IS system have to turn off the IS when on a tripod to prevent blurring as the IS system will still try to stabilize itself on the tripod. Current lenses with generation II IS system are the 28-135mm IS and the 100-400mm IS IIRC.

Most Canon lenses have the third and the fourth generation IS system, which I hear can detect no movement when on a tripod and turns off automatically, so you don't have to turn it off.