Options

slide show

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited March 17, 2009 in Finishing School
Okay, I've never done a digital slide show. I ordered my pictures the way I wanted on my computer, transferred them to a flash drive and then ran into a problem. All my ordering of the photos was gone. They were now in numerical order! I hadn't thought of this, but also, don't know a way to get around it??? I need the photos in an particular order. Any advice on what I should do.

All that's going with me is a flash card (using their computer and projector). They have all the other equipment.

Honestly, I'm in a bind. I have just tonight to figure this out. They are still in order on my computer at home, but not on my flash. I guess I could rename all the files, but I'd like to have an easier way.

Thanks...
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Okay, I've never done a digital slide show. I ordered my pictures the way I wanted on my computer, transferred them to a flash drive and then ran into a problem. All my ordering of the photos was gone. They were now in numerical order! I hadn't thought of this, but also, don't know a way to get around it??? I need the photos in an particular order. Any advice on what I should do.

All that's going with me is a flash card (using their computer and projector). They have all the other equipment.

Honestly, I'm in a bind. I have just tonight to figure this out. They are still in order on my computer at home, but not on my flash. I guess I could rename all the files, but I'd like to have an easier way.

Thanks...

I moved this to the "Finishing School" forum because this is really a software issue.

Without knowing what software you are using and what software is used for the actual presentation it's impossible to give a comprehensive answer. The safest way to proceed is to rename the files since most presentation slideshow software at least allows that method for sorting and display sequence.

I use Picasa 3 to sort and rename for that very purpose.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Thanks, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I was using windows picture and fax viewer. What I think is happening is that my flashcard re-orders them. I think if i put it on a CD that wouldn't happen or put on the hard drive. I'll do a few tests.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Thanks, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I was using windows picture and fax viewer. What I think is happening is that my flashcard re-orders them. I think if i put it on a CD that wouldn't happen or put on the hard drive. I'll do a few tests.

Images have no intrinsic "order". The presentation order is determined by the presentation software and sorting preferences.

The Windows software you are using produces an index file which it uses for its own purposes but which other software will neither use nor understand. Unless your presentation machine has the same software and unless you copy the index file over to the new machine as well, you will lose the order.

Your best bet is to rename the images and, like I said, I use Picasa to both organize and rename the images. Whatever presentation software you use should be able to sort by filename to preserve your order. Make a copy of your images before you start the rename process and put the copy in another directory just so you can rapidly recover, just in case.

Picasa is freeware and pretty good stuff but it does take some time to learn the interface.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums