Need a new P&S for my Daughter..

sscheringsschering Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 18, 2009 in Cameras
Well my Daughter is in need of a new P&S..
She had our old Canon A520 but it had an unfortunate end at the hands of her Little brother.

For her I think she would need Image stabilization, good low light, and a macro mode.

So I'm looking at one of the following

Canon A590is
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

Both are 8pm and around $110

My wife wants to get her a used Kodak Z650 6mp off craigs list for $75
She thinks she would like the 10x zoom and it uses the same CRv3 as my K100D but No macro, no image stabilization, short ISO range (800 max)
Can't handle SDHD cards

Any opinions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    sschering wrote:
    Well my Daughter is in need of a new P&S..
    She had our old Canon A520 but it had an unfortunate end at the hands of her Little brother.

Any opinions?

What subject matter did your daughter shoot and under what conditions?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Also how old is she, and what is your top budget? I don't think MP matters as much as features. Kids usually like good zoom range, movie mode, macro mode and easy to use. To be able to grow into it, the option of manual exposure would be good too. What about a used/new Canon G9 or older G model? For 4x6 prints (which i've found most kids like to do) you really only need 3MP, thought 5MP would be better.
    ~ Lisa
  • sscheringsschering Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2009
    She's 7 and she'll shoot everything.. sunsets, sports, low light indoors, macro's of her hamster, toys whatever.. She's all over the road :)

The small point and shoots are a good size for her..
    She can handle the K100D but it's a bit heavy for her.

Lighting isn't exactly high on her priority list yet so something with a good Auto mode would be nice.

I'd like to stick around the $100 range since it'll probably have a rough life.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    The Olympus's are a little more than $110 but looking for something she can grow into....one of the 565-590 cams might bee goood for her....dual image stabil...large zoom.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    sschering wrote:
    She's 7 and she'll shoot everything.. sunsets, sports, low light indoors, macro's of her hamster, toys whatever.. She's all over the road :)

The small point and shoots are a good size for her..
    She can handle the K100D but it's a bit heavy for her.

Lighting isn't exactly high on her priority list yet so something with a good Auto mode would be nice.

I'd like to stick around the $100 range since it'll probably have a rough life.

my niece has been using a Canon SD200 since she was a little over 7 and loves it. i've printed a few of her photos and they look good, she is really starting to want to learn some technique now that she is 10.
    here are some samples: http://darkdragon.smugmug.com/gallery/3613694_236nH#403146969_fBdNg

She did these all one her own once i told her how to turn on the camera and take a picture. I didn't walk her through how to do each shot. Obviously she still has a lot to learn, but thought i'd let you know about the ease of use and quality. yes the camera is old and has been dropped (in grass) a few times. The only problem it has is 1 hot pixel.
    ~ Lisa
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    I was in the same boat for picking a gift for my office manager. I had the Canon A590IS but never even held the Panasonic, but I went with the Panny based on dpreview's comparison tests that favored it over the Canon.

In the hand, it's smaller and thinner, but just as comfortable to hold if not. It has a wider and longer zoom which is nice and I hear the intelligent Auto mode is great for choosing the right settings. Dpreview states that it's also less noisy in high iso as well.

I'd say go with the Panasonic. They may have refurb'd ones at amazon for even less as well.