City twilight: San Francisco glow

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Landscapes
After several weeks of stress, packing, and driving, I've finally gotten settled into our new home in beautiful San Francisco. It's always so lovely here, no matter what the weather. Even at its worst it sure beats a soggy, humid day in Maryland! :D

Our immediate neighborhood is particularly nice, being right at the heart of everything. Best of all, we're about two blocks from Corona Heights Park, which is probably the more-famous Twin Peaks' little brother.

Over the weekend we had a little rain, and since clouds can mean amazing things for the light, I ran (ack, gasp) straight up the hill to see if I could catch anything for the sunset.

I just missed the good stuff, but IMO looking at a city skyline this time of the day is never boring.

492451526_EBjaf-X3.jpg

Hope to see some local Dgrinners soon! I know there's a bunch of great photogs in this area, and an endless supply of subjects to shoot. :smo

Comments

• thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Congrats on your move Schmoo, my wife and I spent three weeks in San Francisco in 2003 and fell in love with it, what a great place to live!

Fantastic pano too!

Charlie
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Very nice pano, schmoo! thumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    well you must make it down to mountain view to smug mug HQ some daythumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    It's always so lovely here, no matter what the weather. Even at its worst it sure beats a soggy, humid day in Maryland!

Having made the move west after living in Md, Va, and De, I couldn't agree more. There is no possibility of running out of cool places to shoot here in the bay area.
    Steve

Website
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Best wishes in your new home. Great skyline clap.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Gorgeous shot! I'm like you, I never get tired of cityscapes. I have friends that roll their eyes when I tell them I'm leaving to shoot another cityscape at Kerry Park - they don't understand...

Also - congrats on the move. Not only are you closer to the southwest and all the great spots in California, you're also a few hours by air from the Pacific Northwest, which also has some decent landscapes mwink.gif
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Schmoo, welcome to the Bay Area. I envy your view. It's a half-an-hour drive for me to get to SF, but I usually bike...
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    wow,
    It's pretty wide alright.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    Nice one, Steph. thumb.gif I am envious--I didn't get into photography until after I left San Francisco. All those missed opportunities :cry. You'll have many chances to catch the interplay of fog, shadow and sun from up there, especially in summer. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Thanks for the great comments, guys. And Richard yeah you know I never thought of it like that, but when you said that it just clicked! The weather causes some really unique light patterns and situations, and that would be one very good reason why so many great artists reside in northern California.

I haven't had the chance to see much fog yet since I spend so much time indoors at my desk! Maybe this evening, though, or this weekend... :D
    edited March 18, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Gorgeous shot! I'm like you, I never get tired of cityscapes. I have friends that roll their eyes when I tell them I'm leaving to shoot another cityscape at Kerry Park - they don't understand...

Also - congrats on the move. Not only are you closer to the southwest and all the great spots in California, you're also a few hours by air from the Pacific Northwest, which also has some decent landscapes mwink.gif

Seriously, I think it's an addiction, but a fine one. The subtle nuances of weather changing the look of a subject that on the outside doesn't change much is so enticing.

And BTW, the PNW is one of the chief reasons for moving here. I've never been on this coast more than a few days at a time before and the climate is so very different from anything I've ever experienced on the east, where I lived my whole life. Once we get a little more settled I cetainly intend to plan a few long weekends up your way, exploring the terrain. thumb.gif
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Looks like you caught the good stuff.
    welcome to cali, sf is great.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Very nice image Schmoo and welcome to California!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Beautiful panorama!
    I visited San Francisco for the first time exactly a year ago. Although I only spent a few days there, I immediately fell in love with the city. Now when people ask me what my favorite city is, I have to respond with SF. I wish I could join you guys down there!
    Oh and congrats on the move! I'd pick California over Maryland any day. The summer-time humidity there is just awful.
  • RandallRandall Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nice pano Schmoo ,I have a brother in law living at Half Moon Bay , we have a trip planned to photograph your beautiful city I can't wait and envy you already. Look forward to your shots and inspiration.
  • ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    love the colors - nice sky - enjoy your new playground wings.gif
    edited March 19, 2009
    Thanks again guys! Randall and Danny I do hope you have/can have more great times in SF. If you're this way send up a flare, and maybe we could meet up for some shooting. As for the Seattle area I certainly am envious. I've never been there but the climate (and the shots I see here on Dgrin) are gorgeous. Looking forward to taking some trips to that quadrant soon. :D
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Now that you have a "room with a view." Can we count on you to let us know the visibility and cloud conditions before driving up to SF for a shoot? mwink.gif
    edited March 19, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    Now that you have a "room with a view." Can we count on you to let us know the visibility and cloud conditions before driving up to SF for a shoot? mwink.gif

lol3.gif Sure! I actually was down by Fisherman's Wharf yesterday and saw a gorgeous layer of fog low over the Bay, covering half the GG Bridge in broad daylight. It just reminded me that I need to find some fog predicting sites. From what I've been told, LiquidAir is the master in terms of moon phases and tides, though. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    This is great Schmoo clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    After several weeks of stress, packing, and driving, I've finally gotten settled into our new home in beautiful San Francisco. It's always so lovely here, no matter what the weather. Even at its worst it sure beats a soggy, humid day in Maryland! :D

Our immediate neighborhood is particularly nice, being right at the heart of everything. Best of all, we're about two blocks from Corona Heights Park, which is probably the more-famous Twin Peaks' little brother.

Over the weekend we had a little rain, and since clouds can mean amazing things for the light, I ran (ack, gasp) straight up the hill to see if I could catch anything for the sunset.

I just missed the good stuff, but IMO looking at a city skyline this time of the day is never boring.

492451526_EBjaf-X3.jpg

Hope to see some local Dgrinners soon! I know there's a bunch of great photogs in this area, and an endless supply of subjects to shoot. :smo

Welcome Schmoo, Nice pano

Very interesting sky patterns here - fog/clouds/forest fire skies, etc... Get to the Marin Headlands for a sunset or moonset shot
    Rags
  • Kathy RayKathy Ray Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Wonderful pano and welcome to the Bay Area. You'll love it here.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    So like now that you are like living in California you like need to like catch the wave, catch my drift? :D

What a view Schmooclap.gif

Great panodeal.gif
    edited March 20, 2009
    So like now that you are like living in California you like need to like catch the wave, catch my drift? :D

What a view Schmooclap.gif

Great panodeal.gif

Heehee, thanks Marc and welcome back! I don't do rough waves + rocks but Trav certainly wants to start learning how to surf. lol3.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Heehee, thanks Marc and welcome back! I don't do rough waves + rocks but Trav certainly wants to start learning how to surf. lol3.gif

Send him down here, SB has sandy beaches with small wavesthumb.gif