2009 Gator Nationals

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited March 23, 2009 in Sports
I ventured down to Gainesville, FL this past Saturday and made my first attempt at shooting extremely fast cars. Here are some of my results. All were taken with a Nikon D3. Please let me know what you think and what I can do to improve on these.

#1 70-200mm (120mm), 1/100, f/22, ISO 360

493531499_TrbmN-M-1.jpg

#2 70-200MM (200MM), 1/800, f/4.5, ISO 200
493531536_CwmgA-M.jpg

#3 70-200mm (95mm), 1/160, f/22, ISO 360
493531412_HxwWJ-M.jpg

#4 300mm, 1/500, f/18, ISO 1600
493531379_prZek-M.jpg

#5 300mm, 1/1000, f/7.1, ISO 200
493531322_UmiCX-M.jpg

#6 70-200mm (110mm), 1/320, f/6.3, ISO 200
493531235_S6uQt-M.jpg
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• StilltimeStilltime Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Looks like you were on the other side of us. We were on the summit side. It was a great time. I posted a thread with my photos here. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124364

I tried the whole panning thing and failed misserably, but I got a lot of cool shots of the tires twisting with the super fast shutter speeds.
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Stilltime wrote:
    Looks like you were on the other side of us. We were on the summit side. It was a great time. I posted a thread with my photos here. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124364

I tried the whole panning thing and failed misserably, but I got a lot of cool shots of the tires twisting with the super fast shutter speeds.

Yea, it is a challenge to get them. I don't know how well I did in comparison to pro shooters but I felt that I did OK. I also tried to hold the camera still and snap as the car passed through the field of view but couldn't get the settings right to get a decent shot.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • StilltimeStilltime Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    There are a few pictures on ESPN, but most of the seem to be of the driver smoking their tires at the starting line, and not any real action pictures of them going 270mph (plus). Given where they were standing, all their pictures would be of the rear of the car, and plus, the smoke from the tires is more dramatic.

But my biggest problem was my ISO. My camera is just not capable of high ISO's, and I was finding I needed the higher ISO's to get the fast shutter speeds (1/2000 and up) so there's a lot of noise. I used lightroom to reduce some of it, but the quality just isn't as good.

Something kinda funny.. after I uploaded my pictures and I was looking through them, I kept saying "dang, they're really hazy and foggy looking, what the heck is going on? Is it my lens?" (as I frantically pulled my lens out to inspect it). Lens was fine, but it took me a minute to realize it was either the smoke or the gas. Duh! rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 18, 2009
    Stilltime wrote:
    There are a few pictures on ESPN, but most of the seem to be of the driver smoking their tires at the starting line, and not any real action pictures of them going 270mph (plus). Given where they were standing, all their pictures would be of the rear of the car, and plus, the smoke from the tires is more dramatic.

But my biggest problem was my ISO. My camera is just not capable of high ISO's, and I was finding I needed the higher ISO's to get the fast shutter speeds (1/2000 and up) so there's a lot of noise. I used lightroom to reduce some of it, but the quality just isn't as good.

Something kinda funny.. after I uploaded my pictures and I was looking through them, I kept saying "dang, they're really hazy and foggy looking, what the heck is going on? Is it my lens?" (as I frantically pulled my lens out to inspect it). Lens was fine, but it took me a minute to realize it was either the smoke or the gas. Duh! rolleyes1.gif

Have you ever tried Noise Ninja? When I shoot with my D200 and get noise in the shot, NN does a really good job for me.
    I saw the guys with the PHOT0 vests on and wondered if they were limited as to where they could go since they all stayed up at the start line.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Great shots I like 5 with the heat ..
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    nice pan-focus shots!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 19, 2009
    Jonnyyaya wrote:
    Great shots I like 5 with the heat ..

Thanks, that's the one that I like the best.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
    edited March 19, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    nice pan-focus shots!thumb.gif

Thanks, I wish that I could get some decent shots not panning and the car is blurred. I guess that I will just have to keep practicing.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I was there shooting as well. The G'nats are a tough venue without a photo pass.

You done good. thumb.gif

I was in the left side start line section, & didn't think to venture down track. headscratch.gif
    "Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
    '08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
    '08 KLR 685 "Rover"
    '03 Golden Retriever "Farley"
    edited March 20, 2009
    Huzband wrote:
    I was there shooting as well. The G'nats are a tough venue without a photo pass.

You done good. thumb.gif

I was in the left side start line section, & didn't think to venture down track. headscratch.gif

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Do you know how to go about getting photo passes to events like this and SX motorcross. There is an SX event coming up in Jacksonville and the stadium won't allow anything over a six inch lens into the stadium.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    I'm not sure but,you would probably have to go through the AMA.

I spoke with a photographer at the Daytona short track, & he told me that for that event, you have to go through the speedway office, with a letter from whomever you're shooting for. He also said this has to happen moths in advance. So, I would suppose the SX wouldn't be much different.

I'll be working it with my dirt bike club, so I'll be up close, but no opportunity for shooting.
    "Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
    '08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
    '08 KLR 685 "Rover"
    '03 Golden Retriever "Farley"
    edited March 20, 2009
    Huzband wrote:
    I'm not sure but,you would probably have to go through the AMA.

I spoke with a photographer at the Daytona short track, & he told me that for that event, you have to go through the speedway office, with a letter from whomever you're shooting for. He also said this has to happen moths in advance. So, I would suppose the SX wouldn't be much different.

I'll be working it with my dirt bike club, so I'll be up close, but no opportunity for shooting.

OK thanks, I'll have to give it a try next year.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Do you know how to go about getting photo passes to events like this and SX motorcross. There is an SX event coming up in Jacksonville and the stadium won't allow anything over a six inch lens into the stadium.

I shoot SX and the odds of you getting on the track are slim to none if you aren't affiliated with a magazine or MX website. They have really cracked down on giving track credentials.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
    edited March 21, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I shoot SX and the odds of you getting on the track are slim to none if you aren't affiliated with a magazine or MX website. They have really cracked down on giving track credentials.
    That sucks. Thanks for the info. I guess my best bet is to work on the people here in Jacksonville and get them to allow larger lens in to events that aren't controlled by the NFL.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Nice work, Keith! Shooting 300mph race cars certainly is a challenge. You did a nice job on your panning shots.
    kgarrett11 wrote:
    I also tried to hold the camera still and snap as the car passed through the field of view but couldn't get the settings right to get a decent shot.
    You mean something like this, where the background is sharp, and the car is blurry? (Yes, I know it's not a car...:D)

317449726_C8iyo-L-2.jpg

I shot that one at the NHRA event at Englishtown last summer http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/5226543_vZzTc/1/317437176_jpY4N
    It was taken at 1/1250, f/8.0, ISO 200. It's a matter of timing (and a little luck). I focused on the finish line, and fired off a couple of shots, starting as he first popped into the viewfinder. Since he was coming from my right, and that is my shooting eye, I was trying to watch him as best I could as he approached. If he is coming from your "off side" you can keep your other eye open to watch as he approaches.

One bit of advice I'll offer you - I'm seeing some of your shots were taken at higher ISO settings (360 - I never use those in-between ISOs btw, 1600) and relatively small apertures (f/18, f/22). I would open up your lens - unless I'm looking for some type of effect, I usually shoot around f/7.1 or f/8.0. That will allow you to get a higher shutter speed while avoiding noise introduced by higher ISOs. You really shouldn't need an extreme DOF, and if anything, a shallower DOF will help make the crowd a little less distinct, keeping your attention on the race cars. At that distance away, you should have plenty of DOF at a more open aperture and still keep the cars and their immediate surroundings sharp.
    edited March 23, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    Nice work, Keith! Shooting 300mph race cars certainly is a challenge. You did a nice job on your panning shots.

You mean something like this, where the background is sharp, and the car is blurry? (Yes, I know it's not a car...:D)

317449726_C8iyo-L-2.jpg

I shot that one at the NHRA event at Englishtown last summer http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/5226543_vZzTc/1/317437176_jpY4N
    It was taken at 1/1250, f/8.0, ISO 200. It's a matter of timing (and a little luck). I focused on the finish line, and fired off a couple of shots, starting as he first popped into the viewfinder. Since he was coming from my right, and that is my shooting eye, I was trying to watch him as best I could as he approached. If he is coming from your "off side" you can keep your other eye open to watch as he approaches.

One bit of advice I'll offer you - I'm seeing some of your shots were taken at higher ISO settings (360 - I never use those in-between ISOs btw, 1600) and relatively small apertures (f/18, f/22). I would open up your lens - unless I'm looking for some type of effect, I usually shoot around f/7.1 or f/8.0. That will allow you to get a higher shutter speed while avoiding noise introduced by higher ISOs. You really shouldn't need an extreme DOF, and if anything, a shallower DOF will help make the crowd a little less distinct, keeping your attention on the race cars. At that distance away, you should have plenty of DOF at a more open aperture and still keep the cars and their immediate surroundings sharp.

Thanks for the help. That is the kind of information that I have been looking for. Anything that will make my shots better.
    Using the D3, I have had very little problem with noise. Even at ISO 6400 the only place that I have gotten any noise is in a very dark (night) sky and then the noise that I do get Noise Ninja does a great job on it.