Options

Couple more questions about ordering print of Pano on SmugMug

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 23, 2009 in Finishing School
I am going to have this printed with the Metallic finish as people recommended. However, I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you can answer.

First, which crop shoud I have printed:

493608664_2fogE-X3.jpg

493608598_VVd24-X3.jpg

Second question... how do I order this on SmugMug? It looks like I will have to order it in sections. SmugMug has a cropping tool that before check out but I am afraid that it won't be precise enough to crop exactly in sections. Should I crop this before and then upload each section as a seperate image? Is there a good tool to use or should I just use LR or CS3?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    What size do you want it?
    You could easily put 2, or 3, of them on a 24x36 file and cut it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 17, 2009
    I prefer the first image, although I might crop the right side, just beyond the tower with the blue light on top - I know that must be some San Francisco icon.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    #1 IMO is better cropped.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    I was leaning towards #2 because it has Coit Tower in Red, which is only done during Christmas but now that you guys weighed in, I see how #1 is the better crop.

Andy, not sure how large I want the print yet. The height of it is the critical demension since that is the smaller axis. I probably want it at least 8" tall if not a little more so I guess that is what will determine the length.

Do I need to crop the image into sections and upload each as it's own image, then order a print of each one? Is there software that does this for you or should I just use PS to do it?

Thanks for your help guys.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    If you wanted sections, you'd crop it yourself in PS.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Thanks Andy. Easy enough. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:

How would you account for the bleed/trim factor if you print one image in multiple sections? I'd imagine a small portion of the image at each joining edge would be lost.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    If you did a little cropping on the right you could have an 8" X 44" pano. It doesn't look like Bay or Ez prints has a size near this through SmugMug.

I you wanted it all in one print that is really easy to do with any of the large format printers. You just need to find a business that has a large format printer willing to to a custom print size.

As an example my printer is only 17" wide but I could in theory print 50' long.

I would also recommend if your not used to printing larger you have someone proof your file.

Good luck!

Sam
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What size do you want it?
    You could easily put 2, or 3, of them on a 24x36 file and cut it.

That's a good idea, I did that with a pano that I had printed as a 20x30 and just trimmed it to fit a frame.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist