My First "Real" Shoot

printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited March 18, 2009 in People
So, I tried my first "real" photo shoot, which I did on location at a local county park where there was a spring. My daughter-in-law and her little sister were my "models." I think I shot over 600 pics in a three hour period. Is that normal? I just wanted to get as many as I could since I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

492045357_s2Y5z-M.jpg

492044539_4z5G3-M.jpg

492045221_bGttX-M.jpg

They scared the heck out of me here. The green background is actually the ACTUAL spring! There was a tree that juts out over it and they decided they wanted to climb out there for this shot! I had been here the weekend before and there was an alligator in the spring, so I was totally freaked out by them doing this and tried to stop them...but they are daredevils.

492044990_uVYqv-M.jpg

This was shot on the playground at the park.

492044163_gpgok-M.jpg

492044340_3oxX4-M.jpg

493675100_SzSfT-M.jpg

Here's a better view of the tree over the springs.

492045959_6eZuV-M.jpg

493762440_e7VHK-M.jpg

My exposure was really bad on this shot, so this was my attempt at trying to salvage the shot. Not sure if it worked or not. I really wanted it though, because the look on her face makes me wonder what she was thinking.

493700634_UyoLd-M.jpg
~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    hi Nora,

welcome aboard wave.gif

Looks like you had a good shoot w/ some fun models - the girls looked like they got into it. Most of the shots look good, but could use a bit of post-processing. The first few in particular look a bit dull/flat.

I really like #6 and I like the expressions/laugh in #9. The last one looks a bit to yellow and rather than wonder what she's thinking, I thought she looked like she was about the cry...

hope to see more,

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif - you have the building blocks from which you can put together a good shoot - you have the images. They just need to be finished. The first few (most of the color) images need some work to boost the contrast - to get them to pop. You may find this SmugMug Make Your Image Pop tutorial a good start on learning the technique.

As for #4 - you gotta love models who will risk a bit to get the shot! Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed looking at your photos!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Learn to use levels and contrast adjustment. Those tweaks alone would make a big difference in these photos.
  • printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Thanks. I will go back to the drawing board and try again. Thanks for the tutorial link, that will be helpful.
    ~ Nora

edited March 18, 2009
    Okay...I only worked on one to see if I am heading in the right direction here, or going out into left field.

Original:

492045221_bGttX-M.jpg

Revised:

493998208_tZzuT-M.jpg
    ~ Nora

edited March 18, 2009
    I went ahead and did another one anyway.

Before:

492045357_s2Y5z-M.jpg

After:

494007555_TPr9P-M.jpg

Interesting, the second one does look MUCH more like her in real life.
    ~ Nora

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Here's a quick edit using a series of 3 adjustment layers.
    • Boost saturation a touch
    • Curves to enhance the contrast a touch
    • Levels - spread the histogram a touch to get good solid blacks and whites and boost the mid-tones a touch.