Options

10-22mm lens hood

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited June 10, 2005 in Accessories
I was told that if tyou have a hood for a lens, then you must always use it. It will have no detrimental affect on the light entering the lens and will cut down the lens flare that could result if the hood is not attached.

Gus showed a shot of the pro at Yosemite with the hood reversed, OK so it was probably raining, but I wondered whether it is worth getting the hood for the EF-s 10-22 and peoples experience with it? as it is very wide so the hood can not protrude much infront of the lens?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    A hood is also a good protector of the lens, and I highly recommend getting one. It's designed to never get in the shot, so no worries there.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    I was told that if tyou have a hood for a lens, then you must always use it. It will have no detrimental affect on the light entering the lens and will cut down the lens flare that could result if the hood is not attached.

Gus showed a shot of the pro at Yosemite with the hood reversed, OK so it was probably raining, but I wondered whether it is worth getting the hood for the EF-s 10-22 and peoples experience with it? as it is very wide so the hood can not protrude much infront of the lens?

the 10-22 will flare in certain conditions if you don't use the hood - i highly recommend using it for flare control, as well as protection.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    Thank you both andy and waxy, I am talking to a shop to see what price they will ship both for. I have decided that I have waited lnog enough for this lens. I stopped wanting the printer so I reckon I will be alright so long as the 20d replacement is EF-s bodied rolleyes1.gif does it ever end?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    does it ever end?

:nah
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nah
    I'll have join the "after you set" then, Andy :D
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Get it. I just bought one. (the checks in the mail Andy:D )

Lens flare is very easy with this lens. I tried the hand up in the air trick, but that gets annoying and doesn't always work. I always use a hood when shooting outside.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    I am yet to buy one but will. I actually find it quite hard to get flare with this lens & i shoot into & near the sun a lot...different people i guess ne_nau.gif

Gus
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I am yet to buy one but will. I actually find it quite hard to get flare with this lens & i shoot into & near the sun a lot...different people i guess ne_nau.gif

Gus
    I remember your excellent shot on the beach into the sun thumb.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Tks stan....it will flare but with the maybe few hundred shots i have done in very bright sun & into the sun..i can count on one hand how many have flared & they have been easy to PS out.

Gus
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    The flare I've gotten hasn't been so much in direct sunlight but often with sunlight shining through trees. Also, I feel better with a hood on, like Andy said, for protection.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Done. The pair should be with me before the weekend. What do you think a 55-200mm is worth? (about as much as the hood) :cry :tough :cry :tough I still say it's a good lens, gives you reach from the 18-55 when you first start without breaking the bank. It lulls you into a false sense of security (This won't hurt at all) :smack

Monday now so many lenses so little time
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2005
    Oh boy, it arrived this evening, alomst a week late, but it is here Ihave not had much time to play yet.

Two shots of my chimney at 10mm f/11 and 21mm f/11
    24574112-L.jpg

24574110-L.jpg

The colours are amazing