Steelly Blue Docklands

ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited March 19, 2009 in Landscapes
493916282_LhVKz-X2.jpg
Docklands, Melbourne, Australia

ISO 100 | f/22 | 8 sec

I took this tonight - water and city had a steelly blue look about it. City lights might have made the shot more interesting maybe?

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    I LOVE iloveyou.gif it, Chris. Congratulations! bowdown.gif It's a very fine view of the Melbourne Docklands, very fine composition and execution (does it list a little toward the right, Telstra Dome doesn't look exactly level?). Tell us some more about the making, please. It is shot through with many subtle blue and blue-related tones. Beautiful! With the city lights it would have been another photo, and I drool to think about it too. :D

The last time I was there I was celebrating my birthday with about 20 family and friends at the Greek restaurant at the waterside somewhere in that centre cluster.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Really nice take on a cityscape! Frigid and cold, and the desolation and lack of people really emphasize the mood. thumb.gif
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Outstanding
    That is one fine photograph. Like Neil, I'd like to know more about how you did it--it is a very intriguing shot. Nice work.

M
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I really like it and quite the fitting title.
  • ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    ...Tell us some more about the making...

...The last time I was there I was celebrating my birthday with about 20 family and friends at the Greek restaurant at the waterside somewhere in that centre cluster...

Neil

Saganaki - Great place - love the cheese!

How I made it... Visualized the shot, trying to find a way to lead the eye to the city - hence the right side boats and wharf - I've been down there a few times and had many attempts. This took 7 Digital vertical shots over lapped 30-40%. Maybe I would get lower down next time, and make more of a feature of the wharf. Working with RAW, I keep my white balance on day light - thus what ever the real temp of light is shining is what I will capture - usually don't change this in PP.

Sun was setting behind me, but rays where screened by clouds - thus the blue tones shining on the water and city - looks like twilight really. I have a tripod setup that gives me the nodal point on a 24-105 @ 35mm. The scene was actually very bright, but I used various ND filters to slow the exposure - give that glassy look on the water.

I converted in Lightroom - not much adjustment, just a deepening of the blacks. Light was captured at 3200 kelvin - I didn't change it.

Stitched in PS, added a curves adjustment for contrast (lumination blending mode, so there is no color shift) - there is a high pass sharpening, but very subtle and local on the city buildings, not the sky or water.

I cropped in a 3:1 ratio - mimics that of a 617 film camera. This is a ratio that is easy for the eye to take in.

In all honesty the lighting at the time seemed very ordinary - goes to show that if your there, might as well take a few shots.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    simply gorgeous work in deed!!!

Congradulation! clap.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    thumb.gif I can almost imagine flying cars zipping about the city. Very engaging image.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Saganaki - Great place - love the cheese!

How I made it... Visualized the shot, trying to find a way to lead the eye to the city - hence the right side boats and wharf - I've been down there a few times and had many attempts. This took 7 Digital vertical shots over lapped 30-40%. Maybe I would get lower down next time, and make more of a feature of the wharf. Working with RAW, I keep my white balance on day light - thus what ever the real temp of light is shining is what I will capture - usually don't change this in PP.

Sun was setting behind me, but rays where screened by clouds - thus the blue tones shining on the water and city - looks like twilight really. I have a tripod setup that gives me the nodal point on a 24-105 @ 35mm. The scene was actually very bright, but I used various ND filters to slow the exposure - give that glassy look on the water.

I converted in Lightroom - not much adjustment, just a deepening of the blacks. Light was captured at 3200 kelvin - I didn't change it.

Stitched in PS, added a curves adjustment for contrast (lumination blending mode, so there is no color shift) - there is a high pass sharpening, but very subtle and local on the city buildings, not the sky or water.

I cropped in a 3:1 ratio - mimics that of a 617 film camera. This is a ratio that is easy for the eye to take in.

In all honesty the lighting at the time seemed very ordinary - goes to show that if your there, might as well take a few shots.

Yep, that's it! They have some very interesting wine, too!:D
    Fantastic information about shooting this, thanks very much, Chris!thumb.gifclap I look forward to trying the technique.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix