Shuttle Launch

samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited May 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi

Watched the Shuttle Discovery launch this past Sunday:clap . The discharge gases from the engines created these beautiful clouds at sunset. The shuttle along with the two discharged rockets are at the lower left of the photo. Three very small specks.

Gil

493915230_F79vo-M-1.jpg
Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
Kill Nothing But Time :clap
Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Very cool.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Really nice! The lighting for this launch was so cool - the sun had already set at the pad but the shuttle stack broke into sunset light as it climbed. Made for a great effect on this shot too!

I am thinking of trying to make the June 13 launch - where were you viewing from? Any tips for me?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Really neat!! Lucky you.

Thanks for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Really nice! The lighting for this launch was so cool - the sun had already set at the pad but the shuttle stack broke into sunset light as it climbed. Made for a great effect on this shot too!

I am thinking of trying to make the June 13 launch - where were you viewing from? Any tips for me?

Hi
    Thank you for your comments. The best free spot (side of the road) would be Rt 1 Titusville,Fl. The photos were taken at the Astronaut Hall of Fame RT 405. The Kenndy Space center is also good. We went their on Wednesday, but the launch was PP. The Time of the launch is critial for what you want to see.

Gil
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Some quick thoughts.
    The launch is set for 7:17 AM, sunrise will be 6:24 AM. Shooting East from Titusville might be a problem. Perhaps it would be better shooting from the South (Jetty Park, Cape Canaveral) to the North. I've never shot from Jetty Park, it gets really crowded and this will be Saturday AM, The Weekend!

Jetty Park is at the end of SR 528, at the ocean. Past the Cruse Ships exit, perhaps to the (next exit) the gambling ship exit. I'll have to check. Jetty Park had charged something like $5 for parking.

Remember, it will be mobbed so get there early :D Perhaps a monopod would be better than a tripod working in a crowd.