"My back is killing me"

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited June 10, 2005 in Cameras
he said. The he in this case is a Nikon shooter joining me and 6 others to do some shooting in my area. I sympathized with him. Then he said that carrying around the Nikon 200-400 VR and the 500mm/F4 was too much for his back. I got very interested.

Then he said that he was going to keep the 200-400 and was leaning towards selling the 500. My palms started to sweat. I told him that I liked him too much to see him carrying that heavy old 500mm lens around with his bad back and all and that as a friend the only thing I could do was buy that back breaker from him.

I called up Linda and explained the situation to her. Now Linda is very frugal but she also knows that sooner or later I'm going to get that lens so she said Ok to me starting negotiations. :clap

I'm beginning to see a 500mm lens in my near future.

Harry
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    he said. The he in this case is a Nikon shooter joining me and 6 others to do some shooting in my area. I sympathized with him. Then he said that carrying around the Nikon 200-400 VR and the 500mm/F4 was too much for his back. I got very interested.

Then he said that he was going to keep the 200-400 and was leaning towards selling the 500. My palms started to sweat. I told him that I liked him too much to see him carrying that heavy old 500mm lens around with his bad back and all and that as a friend the only thing I could do was buy that back breaker from him.

I called up Linda and explained the situation to her. Now Linda is very frugal but she also knows that sooner or later I'm going to get that lens so she said Ok to me starting negotiations. clap.gif

I'm beginning to see a 500mm lens in my near future.

Harry

i'm willing to loan out my "sid the sherpa" for a fee deal.gif

23148809-L.jpg

congrats, harry!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm willing to loan out my "sid the sherpa" for a fee deal.gif
    congrats, harry!
    Sounds good. You still accept ribs in lieu of cash right?
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Sounds good. You still accept ribs in lieu of cash right?
    I thought it was Cherry Ripes... Or is it because Andy "screwed up" it's now ribs? headscratch.gif

Oh, and congrats Harry! So is this a MF 500?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Promise to whip me every once in a while? You know, to keep me in line when I'm naughty?

A 500 would be very cool. With your style of shooting, it's perfect. I hope the deal works out.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Hope ya get it Harry thumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Promise to whip me every once in a while? You know, to keep me in line when I'm naughty?

A 500 would be very cool. With your style of shooting, it's perfect. I hope the deal works out.

:whip:lol4

I got my fingers crossed on the lens. He wants to research how much used 500mms are going for before he quotes a price. As long as he doesn't get silly we should have a deal.
    Harry
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Hope ya get it Harry. I'd love to see Egrets taken with that lens.:D
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    :whip:lol4

I got my fingers crossed on the lens. He wants to research how much used 500mms are going for before he quotes a price. As long as he doesn't get silly we should have a deal.
    I told you you would have it within 6 mos...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Well my back is not killing me but get this. I had my shoot this weekend. Shot over 5,000 images in 36 hours. I am burning DVDs now, 5 DVDs for the entire shoot! I filled up the 8GB card on the first day with jpeg quality "8" on the 1DII. Sunday I changed it to "10" and filled up the 8GB, both 2GB cards and most of the 512MB SD card.

The fun part I wanted to bring up is what happens to your hands after raising the heavy camera with the 400/5.6L or the 70-200/2.8L IS lenses on it for that long. My right hand at my little finger joint actually has a blood blister on it! I would shoot an average of two pictures each time I raised the camera. Sometimes I'd shoot six frames, most times I'd shoot one. So here is your exercise regimen for tonight and tomorrow: Take your camera and lens setup, let it hang off your right shoulder, then lift it to your eye, hold it for 5 seconds, then put it back down to your side...

...TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED TIMES.

Yea, I'm tired.

By the way I "refreshed" my batteries before going out. Do NOT do that unless you plan to change for over 12 hours. After 12 hours only one battery was ready. I used one battery per day, it never registered less than full. Good to know!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited June 2, 2005
    5,000 images
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Well my back is not killing me but get this. I had my shoot this weekend. Shot over 5,000 images in 36 hours. ...
    Lucky,

I must have missed something? What was your "shoot"? Any samples?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 10, 2005
    Got it!!!!

clap.gifrolleyes1.gif:Diloveyou.gifcheerleader.gifbeer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

My offer on the 500mm was accepted and I should have it by late next week or the following week.
    Harry
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Congrats Harry. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

now we are gonna have to deal with you getting even better pictures gerg.gifhumungus:moon:toni:pissed
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 10, 2005
    Congratulations

Harry!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

We knew you'd eventually get one. I hope you picked up a very nice gift for Linda. She's a sweetie indeed :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Fantastic, Harry, happy for you! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited June 10, 2005
    Congrats Harry. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

now we are gonna have to deal with you getting even better pictures gerg.gifhumungus:moon:toni:pissed
    nod.gif
    Harry
    edited June 10, 2005
    Congratulations

Harry!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

We knew you'd eventually get one. I hope you picked up a very nice gift for Linda. She's a sweetie indeed icon10.gif

Steve
    Thanks Steve and you are right. Linda should get a nice gift too. I think she would appreciate a Nikon D2X naughty.gif
    Harry
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Steve and you are right. Linda should get a nice gift too. I think she would appreciate a Nikon D2X naughty.gif
    Um Harry,dont you mean a Canon 1Ds MK2rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Congrats.................
    edited June 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Fantastic, Harry, happy for you! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

g
    Thanks Ginger. Now I have to start saving for that 600mm lens. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    edited June 10, 2005
    Um Harry,dont you mean a Canon 1Ds MK2rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Congrats.................
    Thanks but you remember what Lincoln said about a "house divided". :D
    Harry