Canon MPE-65...

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Holy Macro
So I had to rent this lens for a project I'm working on in my Beg. B&W photography class. I've used it once before, with VERY limited results. Anybody who has used this lens knows that it takes time to learn how to use, and use well.

I'll get the lens in a week from today and will have it for a week after that.

Here, I'm looking to get a few tips on best ways and some "shortcuts" or anything that will help me get better and more results from my short time useage of this lens.

Some of my main problems last time I used this were light and focus. Being that it doesn't have a focusing ring, and my subject mater was fixed on the ground, trying to mm by mm move my tripod this way or the other to focus the photo was, needless to say, EXTREMELY DIFFICULT! I'll be working with food this time, so I'll be able to move the subject matter in small increments rather than trying to move the tripod, so I think that will help. It will also be indoors, so I can control the lighting a bit better as well.

However, once I'm done with shooting for the project, I will be trying to use the lens for other stuff. Whatever I can find that I'll want to Macro. So any tips on anything in regards to technique to use this lens would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be putting on an EOS-1 for my film stuff, I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod, with a Manfrotto 48RC4 ballhead. I also have a shutter release cable for the EOS-1 as well. For digital, I'll be using a 50D, (same tripod stuff obviously), and a shutter release for that also.

Thanks for anytips!:bow

Comments