#21 Maybe. Or Maybe not. (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Greenegg, I did this BEFORE I saw yours! Oy. Seems we're all in thriller/film noir(ish) mode....This is what happens when I got bored in the studio last night (I am really REALLY reaching my limit with SP's - can't WAIT to have some real bodies other than my own to practice on!!! However, practicing on me means I may have some clue when I finally get those other bodies :)

Anyway, this may turn out to be just for fun. Or maybe it's a useable entry. Or not!!! Whaddya think?

493950462_gLbN6-L.jpg

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Two things struck me straight away on this. 1) I don't like the font and weighting you used for the title. It feels like it's trying too hard. 2) The extra hand is confusing. Especially given it's wearing the same jacket and glove as the lovely model you managed to find. mwink.gif

I like the placement of and expression on your face. If I were in a bookstore and saw this, I'd think I'm about to read a parody of a murder-mystery.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    This is a really neat idea, but my first reaction was to laugh. That is probably because I know the victim is you and I had read your introductory post about SPs in the studio. The thought of you in the studio, three red gloved hands, ....

Ahem. Time to get serious. I do like the concept a lot. I definitely think it is worth pursuing. I really like the use of red and black.

I love the bleeding title, though having seen PyroPrints suggestion to Ashley I am now looking at typography more critically and thinking maybe something a bit less blocky might work better.

As for the photograph itself, I think it needs some work. You might try to go more low key. For me, the "victim's" very bright face takes away from the mood. The subject looks more shocked than scared. The left gloved hand looks too big. And the third hand should maybe be more in shadow. Or - it could be bright and the victim and the other two hands could be more in shadow.

I guess basically what I am suggesting is that you play with using dark and light to up the scare ante. My 2 cents worth.

Great idea. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Hmm... Maybe it should be

See No Evil
    (a spoof thriller)

rolleyes1.gif

As for the gloves all being the same that was sort of my "plot" point that I was using my "cover" as a teaser (I was thinking that the person being "scared" was actually the killer, thus the threefer of hands. But since it's not a real book and that's as far as the plot got, it's pretty weak!!!). I also toyed with cloning out the buttons and desaturing either the pair of gloves, or the "killer" glove so they weren't all red. Hmmm.... headscratch.gif To be pursued, perhaps :)

Let's see if I can mess with some of the other shots. My problem was that because this was a totally on the fly idea (other than the gloves - I knew I wanted to do SOMETHING with the red gloves, just because they're such fun, so I remembered to take them out there with me) and I didn't have a lappie and could only chimp the shots - taken with a new lens, so I was getting to know that, too (finally got my 85 1.8!) and... well, like I said - just a bit of fun, yanno?

Here you go for some serious silliness (a shame it looks vaguely obscene :giggle) - I think this one should be called "Shlock Horror!" or "Hommage to William Castle" (and if you don't know who that is, go and see one of his movies, and then watch "Matinee", a wonderful little film witih a main character that is clearly meant to be the man himself...)

Ok, back to renewing the passports (gahhh... I hate hate HATE bureaucratic paperwork!!!)

493967261_3cbTe-L.jpg
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    H

Ok, back to renewing the passports (gahhh... I hate hate HATE bureaucratic paperwork!!!)

Now I gotta know who's hand is filling the third glove in that shot! The book title that jumped into my mind was "Itsy Bitsy Spider Climbed up the..."

Oh, and to compare bureaucracy notes, try renewing a business visa in China. Ugh.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    i like the first one a lot. I think that if you desaturated the 2 hands it would be better. also you need to tighten up the font by a lot, i'm includin an example of what i mean. Possibly give the single hand a knife or ice chipper - feels like it should have something. the person's left hand is too close to the edge of the image for me to, if this was a book that would be a dust jacket and most likey a little bit would be printed over the edge which would look messy.

sorry about the runon sentance, and the quality of the image (i only have MSPaint on my work pc!)

The second image is very creepy with the hand coming in from underneath, i like it!
    ~ Lisa
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    "Oh, I like this... Very silly and fun. And your title is great!"

No seriously, I do!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    I can tell you're going to have a lot of fun with this. You're off to a great start! clap.gif

I love your expression on the first attempt. But I'm not sure what to make of that phantom arm. It looks out of place in that shot because it's just hanging there. In the second one at least it's going to do something to you. However, where it's positioned, it looks like it's reaching for your boobs. rolleyes1.gif Maybe have it reach for your neck instead?
    edited March 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    owever, where it's positioned, it looks like it's reaching for your boobs. rolleyes1.gif Maybe have it reach for your neck instead?

:lol rolleyes1.gif

Well yeah - that's why I said it looked slightly obscene! It cracks me up every time I look at it - talk about ABSURD!! (Alternatively, I just have to think of a good title for it ... BWAAAHHHAA!!)

I may get a a chance to reshoot before the deadline; we'll see... depends on if I can get into the studio enough since we're closed for the break next week...
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    :lol rolleyes1.gif

Well yeah - that's why I said it looked slightly obscene! It cracks me up every time I look at it - talk about ABSURD!! (Alternatively, I just have to think of a good title for it ... BWAAAHHHAA!!)

I may get a a chance to reshoot before the deadline; we'll see... depends on if I can get into the studio enough since we're closed for the break next week...

:D I giggled when I saw your second one...very funny. Nice concept and fun to look at. Maybe you should call it something like..."The Killer Red Gloves" or "As the Appendeges Grow"...lol.

Your alot farther than I on this one. I haven't had time to even think of this challenge yet. Hopefully soon.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Divamum,

I love your image. A far as the text goes, you probably want to use a simpler font. If you use serifs, keep them somewhat subdued. Don't be afraid to stretch things out of standard proportions. Also, play with fades, reflections, etc. just to see what you come up with. Here is something I did with your cover quick&dirty. (Hope you don't mind.)

494664746_AfVi8-M.jpg

If all else fails, go to the book store and see how the so called experts do it.

Good luck!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    It seems you may be borrowing a bit from the 'three wise monkeys' of Taoism folk lore, in which case I see 'speak no evil', and that was my first reaction to the photo; not taking the title into account. Great idea, though. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

edited March 19, 2009
    Kevin, you are AWESOME! I love what you did. And you pointed me in the direction of playing with lettering, which I haven't done in PS before (I think my long-ago days of having to create Word Art in MS Word may actually come in handy after all - it's the same, only better!!!)

In fact, a reshoot this afternoon may take me a slightly different direction (about to post the next version!), but I'm already applying the ideas you've got me thinking about!