Nikon + wide angle + full frame = ?

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in Cameras
Nikon + wide angle + full frame = not many options out there, at least that I'm finding.

Anyone care to chime in? I've the 20mm Nikkor and a 8mm Sigma fisheye, as well as the 24-70mm Nikkor, so I'm "covered at 20, 24 and 8 if I want distortion.

So, what else is there that I might consider? I see some LOVELY lenses .... in DX format. Heck, I own two of them but am selling them both since I've become a FX addict.

What off-brand (aka non-Nikon) lenses might anyone recommend?

Would the Sigma 14mm fill in the 'gap'? (or is that a DX? Sigma's abbreviations confuse me) (EDIT: Adorama confirms it as FX)
http://bythom.com/14lens.htm (bottom has the 2.8 info)
used: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20331998.html?searchinfo=Sigma%2014mm&item_no=3 $599

Yes yes, I'd love the 14-24 Nikkor, but at the current price... um... no. I cannot justify it when I essentially already HAVE most of what I need in there. But I would like a wider NON-fisheye lens.

feedback? thoughts? alternatives?
//Leah

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    One lens to consider, if you want/need the flexibility of a very-wide zoom lens on a full-frame body, is the Sigma 12-24mm, f4.5-f5.6 EX DG IF HSM.

This was the first lens in it's class and, if you find a good copy, can provide splendid results at a very reasonable price. Far from perfect it is still a lot of lens for the money.

I thought we had a DGrinner with that lens but I cannot find them just now.

I honestly believe that often the method of stitched photography can yield better results than the best single image from any camera/lens so you might consider that technology when the situation indicates the need for a very wide field-of-view. (I was shooting just yesterday using a 50mm prime on the Canon 5D MKII and I am hopeful for the results of the multi-image stitch.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    One lens to consider, if you want/need the flexibility of a very-wide zoom lens on a full-frame body, is the Sigma 12-24mm, f4.5-f5.6 EX DG IF HSM.

Isn't the EX DG a crop lens? headscratch.gif I've got the Nikon abbreviations down, but not Sigma's.
    //Leah
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Actually on sigmas list of lenses it pretty much has them broken down ........but a DC dsignation is for "digital crop".......DG is just digital......which simply means it is to give better resuolts than an older no DG lens on a digital cam.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 18, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually on sigmas list of lenses it pretty much has them broken down ........but a DC dsignation is for "digital crop".......DG is just digital......which simply means it is to give better resuolts than an older no DG lens on a digital cam.

Ah nice! it's $100 more but NEW, zoomable and while it's not f/2.8 I can't see really needing speed on .... landscapes. heh.

*trundles off to Adorama again*
    //Leah
    edited March 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I thought we had a DGrinner with that lens but I cannot find them just now.

Well, that'll be me now. :)
    //Leah
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Leah,
    I love spending other people's money.

I think you need to seriously reconsider buying the Nikkor 14-24mm. This could be one of the finest wide angle zoom lenses ever made. I know two Canon shooters who use adaptors just to be able to use this lens on Canon bodies. It is THAT good.

You do have some redundancy, but perhaps you could sell some glass to help fund this purchase. You will likely not use any other wide angle lens after you try the Nikkor 14-24mm.
    edited March 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Leah,
    I love spending other people's money.

I think you need to seriously reconsider buying the Nikkor 14-24mm. This could be one of the finest wide angle zoom lenses ever made. I know two Canon shooters who use adaptors just to be able to use this lens on Canon bodies. It is THAT good.

You do have some redundancy, but perhaps you could sell some glass to help fund this purchase. You will likely not use any other wide angle lens after you try the Nikkor 14-24mm.

If I stumble over another $1200 someday, I'll sell the Sigma and get the Nikkor :) okay? promise!!

(plus, it FITS in the triad of the 24-70 and 70-200) It' slike having 2 of the 3 tenors.
    //Leah
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    yes..the 14-24mm
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    The 14-24mm is worth every red cent. I haven't tried the Sigma yet, but have heard good things about it. I will pick up the Sigma this summer as a backup to my Nikkor.
    Steve

Website
    edited March 18, 2009
    The 14-24mm is worth every red cent. I haven't tried the Sigma yet, but have heard good things about it. I will pick up the Sigma this summer as a backup to my Nikkor.

after the D3. then the D300. and D200. and 70-200mm and 8mm fisheye and 20mm and 50mm 1.4G and 24-70mm and expo disc and and and and ..... I'n OUT baby.

the 14-24 has gotta wait.
    //Leah
    edited March 18, 2009
    Leah, sell your D200. You can put the proceeds towards the lens you really want. Then you will be all set with the Nikkor zoom trinity.mwink.gif
    edited March 18, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Leah, sell your D200. You can put the proceeds towards the lens you really want. Then you will be all set with the Nikkor zoom trinity.mwink.gif

I only paid $599 for the D200 and I need that third/second body, especially with shows coming up and the D300 and D50 playing musical cameras with Nikon's service center.

Talk to me AFTER I get the truck and trailer (I show horses too), pay for Quickbooks Pro and sell off the extra lenses/gear in the forums here (or sell to Adorama if this place doesn't take them all).

And in truth? I don't NEED that wide zoom that badly. The 20mm is an incredible lens. Wait until I post some of the Catalina photos :)

but thank you!

(and I want a 300mm first! bang bang, shot me a birdy!)
    //Leah
    edited March 19, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I only paid $599 for the D200 and I need that third/second body, especially with shows coming up and the D300 and D50 playing musical cameras with Nikon's service center.

Talk to me AFTER I get the truck and trailer (I show horses too), pay for Quickbooks Pro and sell off the extra lenses/gear in the forums here (or sell to Adorama if this place doesn't take them all).

And in truth? I don't NEED that wide zoom that badly. The 20mm is an incredible lens. Wait until I post some of the Catalina photos :)

but thank you!

(and I want a 300mm first! bang bang, shot me a birdy!)

You're thinking to logically!

Can I tell you how sweet my 300mmVR is?mwink.gif
    edited March 19, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    You're thinking too logically!

Can I tell you how sweet my 300mmVR is?mwink.gif

logic smlogic. How do you think I ended up with a D3? ne_nau.gif

My 'business' is primarily horse sports photography, so I can justify a 300mm before the 14-24mm Nikkor.

I'm sitll working to justify the 8mm Sigma fisheye. I figure if I can sell ONE print from that lens, I can justify it too clap.gif
    //Leah