Where to find lens adapters for Sony A200

JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Cameras
I am trying to find out if an adapter exists to put on a Sony dSLR for a Canon lens. (I know I'm in the minority, please don't give me grief about having a Sony! :rolleyes) If it does exist, could someone steer me in the right direction? I've tried to Google my quandary and no luck.

Also, are there compatibility issues with 35mm vs. dSLR bodies as far as mounting lenses? My dad has an old film Canon Rebel and some lenses he wants to give me---most notably, a 50mm 1.8, which I need and would appreciate.

If I decide to buy more lenses, I'd like to go with a different brand, better than what I've got. My kit lens is okay but my telephoto sucks. Someday I will probably upgrade my camera body and certainly will buy a different brand. So how do I keep from investing $$$ in glass I won't be able to use if I switch brands? Has anyone experienced this personally?

Thanks!

Sarah
Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    Sarah,

Canon EOS system cameras are rather unique in that they have a very short distance from the lens mount flange to the imager. This allows the insertion of adapters to mate lenses from certain other camera makers and lens systems with longer flange to imager distances.

Unfortunately, Minolta flange to imager distances are too similar and no adapter exists that I am aware of so you would have to physically alter the lens mount at great expense to make Canon mount lenses fit on a Minolta body.

Older Canon lenses would be no better.

I recommend that you look at older Minolta lenses and third-party Minolta mount lenses if looking for a bargain.

A pretty good resource for used equipment is KEH.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Ah, well, thank you for your expertise---I know nothing about lens mounts. I appreciate the resource---I was planning on looking around for some used lenses at some point. I will check them out.

That also answers my question---if I'm going to ever invest in good lenses, I might want to start over with a better camera body and not limit myself to Sony/Minolta.

Thanks for your advice!

Sarah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh