wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
790-bw-2278.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Y2K?

Is there a story behind these buildings.

Like the B&W looks good.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Roadkill wrote:
    Y2K?

Is there a story behind these buildings.

Like the B&W looks good.

I forget the Y2K myth may not be familiar to some; In 1998 and 99, with the old-time computers, the year would be resetting to 0000 instead of 2000. Many figured there would be global financial disorder and panic, and started stocking up on survival gear, long term storable food, water, firearms and ammunition, and building bunkers in remote locations to protect themselves from the ensuing madness. Funny how things turned out to be entirely different! [/sarcasm]

:) Thank you.
    Anybody can do it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I got the Y2K reference. :D

Very nice shot, esp with the B&W treatment. And I like the competing angles of sky and buildings.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Very cool find, Walter! And great capture/conversion!

I remember hearing about these bunkers back in '99. A lot of top level computer programmers and engineers (aka "people in the know") were quitting their jobs and stocking up on food, supplies and such. I remember reading an article about one family where they stockpiled guns and ammunition and taught the kids to shoot because they feared roaming raiders who would attack and steal the food and supplies.

At least society hasn't devolved THAT much!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 19, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I got the Y2K reference. :D

Very nice shot, esp with the B&W treatment. And I like the competing angles of sky and buildings.

Thank you Lauren.

I've been out to this site a few times and didn't get what I wanted. This time around I tried to figure out what attracted me to it- What was it about that first glance that caught my attention? So I approached the structures from the way I did my first visit. The contrail-streaked sky was an added (and necessary) plus, making it almost too easy, and this time I recorded what I feel was the initial attraction to me.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 19, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Very cool find, Walter! And great capture/conversion!

I remember hearing about these bunkers back in '99. A lot of top level computer programmers and engineers (aka "people in the know") were quitting their jobs and stocking up on food, supplies and such. I remember reading an article about one family where they stockpiled guns and ammunition and taught the kids to shoot because they feared roaming raiders who would attack and steal the food and supplies.

At least society hasn't devolved THAT much!

:) I think every 10-15 years, we need something or to watch someone totally freak out in fear. From nuclear devastation to an entire coastal geomorphic province sinking into the sea, STDs running rampant or even something as simple as a clock not properly resetting, our current "challenge", or, imagine what would happen if one morning we woke up to find the internet had broke. Always something.

The real story behind these caps over holes in the ground isn't quite so dramatic, but appeals to my Orwellian/sci-fi imagination enough to stick with my bunker story.

Here on the edge of 'humanage' (or at least it was ten years ago), we had folks selling storage/cache barrels by the side of the road. I thought it was all quite silly. Now I wish I would have bought a couple- just in case. What I did do, was take a class in flint-knapping, making points from stone for darts (arrows) and spears- just in case the internet breaks.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 19, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    :) I think every 10-15 years, we need something or to watch someone totally freak out in fear. From nuclear devastation to an entire coastal geomorphic province sinking into the sea, STDs running rampant or even something as simple as a clock not properly resetting, our current "challenge", or, imagine what would happen if one morning we woke up to find the internet had broke. Always something.

The real story behind these caps over holes in the ground isn't quite so dramatic, but appeals to my Orwellian/sci-fi imagination enough to stick with my bunker story.

Here on the edge of 'humanage' (or at least it was ten years ago), we had folks selling storage/cache barrels by the side of the road. I thought it was all quite silly. Now I wish I would have bought a couple- just in case. What I did do, was take a class in flint-knapping, making points from stone for darts (arrows) and spears- just in case the internet breaks.

Very interesting insights... and dead on. There's always a new impending doom looming on the horizon it seems. One fad simply replaces the next as the civilization ender. To be honest, my heart sank a bit pondering the idea "What if the internet broke..."

I think it's just a part of human nature to consider the end, of civilization or of one's self. And while some people take it to an extreme and panic it never hurts to be prepared. Have a "What if..." plan. Maybe I've just seen too many movies based in a post appocalyptic USA though...

A flint-knapping class incredibly intrigueing and handy, even if the internet refuses to break anytime soon (all fingers and toes crossed on that one). Where did you find that?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif; Nice Y2K store but the truth is stranger and my lips are sealed; Nice shot
    edited March 20, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Very interesting insights... and dead on. There's always a new impending doom looming on the horizon it seems. One fad simply replaces the next as the civilization ender. To be honest, my heart sank a bit pondering the idea "What if the internet broke..."

I think it's just a part of human nature to consider the end, of civilization or of one's self. And while some people take it to an extreme and panic it never hurts to be prepared. Have a "What if..." plan. Maybe I've just seen too many movies based in a post appocalyptic USA though...

There's an uneasy feeling to wondering about those things, although they seem to put some problems into perspective. More uneasy is the consideration that some day, when the sun turns red and goes giant, is that the Earth will be consumed within it's fire. And that's nothing considering that some predict that ultimately the entire universe will disintegrate into very low energy light particles. Almost morbidly depressing, but it sure puts the problem I have with my stupid truck draining the battery when I drive long distances into a managable framework.
    CWSkopec wrote:
    A flint-knapping class incredibly intrigueing and handy, even if the internet refuses to break anytime soon (all fingers and toes crossed on that one). Where did you find that?

My grand kids are amazed, and I have many, many, sharp, oddly shaped rocks lying around- I would have been a starving caveman or Indian. I can imagine me trying to shoot an arrow with an 8 pound point at a reindeer or rabbit. I probably would have broke my toes. At least with the internet I could have learned how to properly set them.

I've been learning about the desert for the last 14 years. The last seven, I've become a bit serious about it and take as many short classes as I can. Some of the people I've met and hang with now are very up on this stuff. Now I have a few questions to go with my otherwise blank stare. This weekend is mineral microphotography and fossil beds. The mineral class is sort of interest to me, but the fossil bed trackways are so I can show my 5 year grand daughter. I recieve college schedules from all over So Cal, Nevada and Arizona, plus belong to about a dozen or so museums, historical societies and park associations. Somebody always has something going.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 20, 2009
    JeffCanon wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif; Nice Y2K store but the truth is stranger and my lips are sealed; Nice shot

Cool, thanks Jeff!

I have something in the works with this shot and some of the others that I'm hoping to get the ok on sometime tomorrow. I'm really worked up over this project. You'll know.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 20, 2009
    I feel like we should be sitting around the campfire, having a beer while we ponder the fate of humanity! beer.gif

I'll have to keep an eye open for opportunities like you're taking advantage of... hopefully I'll get a few projects cleared up shortly and will have the "free time" to learn some new things!

On another note, I've got trip planned to Joshua Tree a week from now and spent some of my work day researching what I should do and see... One of my Google searchs led me to your Digital-Desert.com site. Great site!! Thanks for the info! It'll be my first trip to the park so any help figuring out what I should see is appreciated!

Any "secret" site in the park that I just have to see?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 20, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I feel like we should be sitting around the campfire, having a beer while we ponder the fate of humanity! beer.gif

I'll have to keep an eye open for opportunities like you're taking advantage of... hopefully I'll get a few projects cleared up shortly and will have the "free time" to learn some new things!

On another note, I've got trip planned to Joshua Tree a week from now and spent some of my work day researching what I should do and see... One of my Google searchs led me to your Digital-Desert.com site. Great site!! Thanks for the info! It'll be my first trip to the park so any help figuring out what I should see is appreciated!

Any "secret" site in the park that I just have to see?

I'm afraid all the secrets in the park no longer remain so. I've been there maybe 30-40 times through the years. I've never been able to keep up with the new info they keep publishing. I still haven't seen it all either. Although the new stuff is further out than it used to be. It's all good to me.
    Anybody can do it.