Point and Shoot Raw?

windyweatherwindyweather Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 27, 2009 in Cameras
I have a D300, but I also recently got a Nikon S550 so that I could carry it all the time on walks where I live.

I miss RAW with my S550. There would seem to be no real reason that these modern Point&Shoot, or whatever they are calling them, should not have a RAW mode. It's a 10 MP camera, which is larger than my previous D70. And the 8GB card surely has enough room for raw pictures.

I don't want more features. Sure do like the 5x optical zoom and the compact size of the S550, but I'm not looking for more complex features, just RAW to bring home to Lightroom.
  • Anybody seen a camera in this form factor that shoots raw?
  • Have Nikon or Canon had this feedback from their customers?
:dunno

- windy

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    oNE OF THE REASONS I purchased my konica Minolta A2 was the ability to shoot raw......not it is considered a PRO-SUMER p/s......take a look at the oly line up of the SP-565 UZ - SP-590 UZ (almost at bottom of page) .....to some these are a bit pricey but loaded with features......this looks like my next PRO-SUMER p/s when I can no longer buy good used A2's
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Canon G10, baby. RAW!
    //Leah
  • hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    aww I was gona sugest the canon G10 too! ... you beat me to the punch
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Well, the closest thing by Nikon or Canon to my knowledge is the Canon G10 (but it might be a bit bigger than you want).
    However, Panasonic does have a few great offerings like this. Small point and shoot cameras with raw format (I think Ricoh and Leica also have a few):

Panasonic DMC-LX3: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573592-REG/Panasonic_DMC_LX3K_Lumix_DMC_LX3_Digital_Camera.html
    and
    Panasonic DMC-FX150: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574549-REG/Panasonic__Lumix_DMC_FX150_Digital_Camera.html

These Panasonics get great reviews, are very small, have good wide lenses, and are quite affordable. I am surprised they have not gotten more attention in these forums.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 18, 2009
    A new market that is predicted to build and grow is the interchangeable lens digital camera that is not an SLR (sometimes known as an "EVIL" system camera, "Electronic Viewfinder with Interchangeable Lenses").

Olympus and Panasonic have announced the Micro-FourThirds system which has no reflex mirror or optical viewfinder and Samsung has a similar system based on a larger APS-C format sensor.

There is a fair chance that within a relatively short time these "hybrid" cameras could take over the position between the advanced digicams and a true dSLR, including a very capable RAW capture and competent high-ISO mode.

Panasonic is the first to bat with the Lumix DMC-G1 and another of the "G" series was just announced. Samsung has also announce their first camera in the group but no real release/shipping date that I have heard.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    In addition to buying one of the point-and-shoots that captures Raw, like the Canon G10 or the Panasonic LX3, you can use one of the smaller JPEG-based Canon point-and-shoots but hack it with the CHDK software that can enable Raw.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    I'm always way off the reservation, but I had a Fuji S6000 and it was way better than the dSLR I have now. It was considered a point-and-shoot by some, but I've heard the term "ZLR " (zoom lens reflex?) to describe the advanced P&S cameras. It had full manual modes and shot in RAW, though it was larger than the dSLR I have now. I would imagine all of their models are capable of RAW, including their compact P&S.

Sarrah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • PinkdevilPinkdevil Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2009
    I have a D300, but I also recently got a Nikon S550 so that I could carry it all the time on walks where I live.

I miss RAW with my S550. There would seem to be no real reason that these modern Point&Shoot, or whatever they are calling them, should not have a RAW mode. It's a 10 MP camera, which is larger than my previous D70. And the 8GB card surely has enough room for raw pictures.

I don't want more features. Sure do like the 5x optical zoom and the compact size of the S550, but I'm not looking for more complex features, just RAW to bring home to Lightroom.
    • Anybody seen a camera in this form factor that shoots raw?
    • Have Nikon or Canon had this feedback from their customers?
    ne_nau.gif

- windy

Hi Windy,

Check out my website for some photos taken by my LX3. This camera can do raw. But do note that it has a short zoom. 28-60mm. Loving it!! I am just an amateur. Kindly comment on my shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34223570@N05
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    Pinkdevil wrote:
    Hi Windy,

Check out my website for some photos taken by my LX3. This camera can do raw. But do note that it has a short zoom. 28-60mm. Loving it!! I am just an amateur. Kindly comment on my shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34223570@N05

Pinkdevil, welcome to the Digital Grin.clap.gif

Thanks for your comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • windyweatherwindyweather Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2009
    Goal of less than $300
    The Fuji S6000 looks like what I should have purchased. My price range is more like $300 - current price of S6000 is about $275 - rather than $400.
    The 10x zoom is much better than the 5x zoom on the S550. But of course the size is larger too. The small flat S550 is easy to always have with me.

Looks like the companies are getting the message.
    Thanks for all the helpful tips.

- windy
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Adorama sells refurbed Canon G9s' at $350 and they've got used starting at $300. Shoots RAW and is only 4.19 x 2.83 x 1.67 in. in size so it could still fit in a coat/jacket/cargo pocket.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    The Fuji S6000 looks like what I should have purchased. My price range is more like $300 - current price of S6000 is about $275 - rather than $400.
    The 10x zoom is much better than the 5x zoom on the S550. But of course the size is larger too. The small flat S550 is easy to always have with me.

Looks like the companies are getting the message.
    Thanks for all the helpful tips.

- windy

Well, the S6000 was a bulky kind of thing, but I didn't mind. I am the family pack mule, I'm used to carrying bags of kitsch everywhere. I absolutely loved that camera. :cry I should have bought that one again instead of a dSLR! But I hope you're glad with what you've got.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh