Portrait editing - always second guessing myself

2»

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is this with PS CS, or are you using some other program? I don't recognize things like Kodak airbrush filter, xero filter, etc.

ginger
    Jumping in here . . . I'm not sure about the "kodak filter" but the "Xero" filters" are freeware photoshop plugin's (that also work in paint shop, I believe). Some of them are really good and others are corny (IMHO). I kind of like the soft vignette filter but only lightly used (with adjustment sliders). It can somewhat give the effect of one of those "Lensbaby" lenses.

And did I mention, they're free to download.

Not perfect, though. But fun to play with.

Website is:
    http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/index.htm
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Jumping in here . . . I'm not sure about the "kodak filter" but the "Xero" filters" are freeware photoshop plugin's (that also work in paint shop, I believe). Some of them are really good and others are corny (IMHO). I kind of like the soft vignette filter but only lightly used (with adjustment sliders). It can somewhat give the effect of one of those "Lensbaby" lenses.

And did I mention, they're free to download.

Not perfect, though. But fun to play with.

Website is:
    http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/index.htm
    Yep! That's them! I enjoy the tweaker, porcelain and soft vignette...haven't found much use for many others yet. The soft vignette really can tone down bright highlights. Tweaker brings out shadows and adds saturation for me quick and easy. Best thing is they ARE free!

The Kodak airbrush filter unfortunately is not free. It runs kinda high but for a portrait photographer like me, it is a must have.

Here's the link
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    K.i.s.s.
    Truthfully, I am far from the accomplished photoshopper, (in fact, I use Jasc Pain Shop Pro 7, which is considerably different). However, if I were going to try one very simple thing with your 2nd pic, it would just be to add some saturation. Its just a quick way to really accentuate and bring out colors and skin tones. On redheads with fair skin, it can actually make quite a difference. On this picture I'd keep the saturation fairly light..but a little bit of it can sometimes go a long way.

In the pic below, I actually ended up adjusting whitebalance to reduce some of the blue in your pic and add a hair of warmness. Then I just set the auto-saturation to normal bias, and strong color.

MainFragger
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Wow! The little thread that grew. Lots of great info and ideas here, aren't there!

Thanks

ann

i'm so pleased you are getting some ideas here, ann :D ... to me, this is one of the huge benefits of our forum, getting specific step by step help and ideas... lots of great stuff in this thread... then the trick is applying it thumb.gif
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    T4Tots wrote:
    23707390-S.jpg
    Tina,

Nice work thumb.gif

I love the vignette effect. In some areas (bottom left in particular) it almost looks like frost. clap.gif
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Thumbs up for MainFragger!
    MainFragger,

Great job coming up with something a bit different. At first glance I wasn't sure about the color in your image, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I'm not sure the saturation needs to be quite so high, but overall... nice work thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Started with the jpg from raw that I posted:
    23473306-M-1.jpg

This mornings version(I should let you all know I am a PSP 9 user, but can usually interpret PS things to PSP). Steps as I remember them:
    1. duplicate
    2. on background layer:
    guassian blur value of 5
    curves to make the background much darker
    3. merge layers
    4. crop
    result:
    23791005-M.jpg

On resulting image
    1. curves to enhance (brighten) hair and face without brightening background too much
    2. sharpen brush to the edge of the eyes (enhance lashes)
    3. burn brush to the eyes to lighten
    4. sharpen brush to the pupils

Still not happy with the amount of 'pop' so
    5. changed white and black points - chose a point on the purse for black and her teeth for white
    6. upped the saturation
    7. cropped again, framed:
    23790519-M.jpg

Gallery link (originals still on for now):
    http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/563510
    Now, how does this compare to the others here?

ann