jacksonville pano

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's from a commonly photographed location in downtown Jacksonville across the St. John's river. This is a 12 shot pano (240MB !). I don't have a pano adaptor for my tripod and learned an early lesson last time I tried this shot that there is significant distortion when shooting less than 25mm or so. I shot this at 30mm, locked the settings, and stitched with CS3. I have always been told that the tripod adaptor is necessary to compensate for the lens rotation, so I was nervous it may not turn out but in the end I was pleased.

488505360_3jEoJ-L.jpg

Comments

• DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Excellent shot. thumb.gif Is the moon real or an add-in? Either way - great touch.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    The first thing I wondered when I saw this was, is the moon real? It just seems unnaturally large.
    That aside, this is a beautiful shot of the Jacksonville skyline. I'm glad the pano worked out for you.
  • RandallRandall Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I think you caught just enough of the twilight to make this a natural great photo, the moon looks great to me a 30mm lens would make the moon so small you would hardly see it . Ansel Adams had no problem enlarging moon shots to compensate for lens difference , I think it's great.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    That is a beautiful shot! iloveyou.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    thanks for your kind feedback. The moon was about 30° out of the shot, so I used a 300 mm lens to capture it and then moved it over a bit to incorporate it into the pano.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Simply gorgeous and incredible work herewings.gif