Spokane River...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Landscapes
I have driven by this point on my way home a lot of times. The last few days with the time change, it has allowed me to go by not long before dusk. I have thought that the scene was very pretty pretty. I tried to record it last night. I am not really sure how I did. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on how to improve.
This was taken in Spokane, WA, on Sullivan overlooking the Spokane river.

Thanks, Ron

494256553_yMWAe-L.jpg

494257240_CLABu-L.jpg

494261180_jrXCJ-L-1.jpg
494257543_JgMa8-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    These are okay but there is definitely room for some improvements. I suggest picking up a Graduated ND filter, an HDR program like Photomatix, or learning how do Merges in Photoshop. Well- you could/should do all of those deal.gif

The issue is you have a large change in light from your foreground to the sky above it. A graduated ND filter will help you to balance the two and still shoot only one frame. HDR is taking 3 or more differently exposed shots and blending them together through a program. Merges are usually two or more shots blended together manually in photoshop.

I think the third shot as the most potential and if you don't mind I can give you an example of how I would maybe work it up.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Thanks Aaron. After getting home and looking at these on my PC there, I wish I had not even post them really. They are not so great at all!
    I would like to see what you could do with the picture. Also would like to know how you do it.

Thanks, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Thanks Aaron. After getting home and looking at these on my PC there, I wish I had not even post them really. They are not so great at all!

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself! We all start somewhere and you're right, this was a beautiful evening and I bet it was even more gorgeous in real life. You have the light, now we just need to see what we can do filing some of the rough edges and tweaking a bit in post.

Tools like a split graduated ND filter would certainly help getting this kind of shot better balanced in-camera, but not everyone has access to such things and technology still makes it all possible. :D
    edited March 19, 2009
    Thanks schmoo. Trouble is I had the graduated ND filter and did not use it. I still have so much to learn!! It was a really pretty site, and I just wish I had done a better job recording it.
    Any tips on metering better than I did?

Thanks, Ron

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Thanks schmoo. Trouble is I had the graduated ND filter and did not use it. I still have so much to learn!! It was a really pretty site, and I just wish I had done a better job recording it.
    Any tips on metering better than I did?

Thanks, Ron

I'm no expert but since I don't have any split ND filters I usually take a few frames, on a tripod if I have one available (but I'm very lazy). I expose once for the sky and once for the foreground, with the intention of blending them later in PS. And I usually take one exposed somewhere in the middle, for fallback just in case I don't feel like tinkering with photomerging later. :D

I make sure I'm shooting at a low ISO (100 if possible) so that I have some wiggle room for adjustment layers and curves in post.

I'm sure lots of other photogs here have different methods. But keep visiting this location! The nicest things can happen when you're familiar with an area and know how to stalk the best conditions.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Thanks again schmoo. I also need to learn about blending photos in PS. That seems like it would work well. I actually brought my tripod to work with me the last couple of days, but alas, no sun. I will keep watching for another opportunity.

Ron

BTW, I followed the link in your post titled "Hidden treasures: Found on SmugMug". WOW, some great photos there!!

edited March 20, 2009
    ront wrote:
    I would like to see what you could do with the picture. Also would like to know how you do it.

Thanks, Ron
    Okay I grab the photo from this thread and played with it three different ways (all just quick passes).

The first one was simply dropped into the basic Iphoto program on my Mac. Some will laugh at this but I use this program a lot because I really do not like to edit and don't know crap about Photoshop. I did some sharpening, adjustments to mid and black point, and a slight cooling of the temperature. The program is very limited but if you take a good picture in camera it may be all you need.

I Photo-
    494967145_65SVF-L.jpg494261180_jrXCJ-L-1.jpg

The second shot is only adjusted in Lightroom 2. I am still very new to this program but it does allow for gradient masks, localized adjustments, and adjustments of each color channel. I am sure it can do a ton more but I don't know it.

494967120_gvQ7L-L.jpg494261180_jrXCJ-L-1.jpg

Last one is an HDR through Photomatix. I took your shot and made two copies of it. I made one copy a full stop longer/brighter exposure and the other copy a half stop darker. Ran through Photomatix with some adjustments in in the program.

494967135_VtB9K-L.jpg494261180_jrXCJ-L-1.jpg

So there are three quick adjustments that could all be developed further.

Aaron Newman

• hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    I bet these pics will look great in HDR. What a pretty set up! I used to live in Seattle but never really got the chance to travel to spokane and I kinda regret it now. Great composition as well thumb.gif
    edited March 20, 2009
    I like what you did with this one Aaron! I posted these pics on a couple other sites also, BEFORE, I realized how bad they really were. A couple others also suggested HDR and gave it a try. I by far, prefer what you did here!! I need to get Photomatix and learn how to use it. What you did here looks somewhat close to what I was seeing and is not overcooked like a lot of HDR images I see.

Thanks for the input!!

Ron

Last one is an HDR through Photomatix. I took your shot and made two copies of it. I made one copy a full stop longer/brighter exposure and the other copy a half stop darker. Ran through Photomatix with some adjustments in in the program.

494967135_VtB9K-L.jpg

edited March 20, 2009
    Aaron, man, I can't really tell you how happy I am that you posted in this thread!!!! I have heard people talk about and show examples of HDR work before and kept telling myself that I needed to try it out. Well. your post in this thread finally prompted me to give it a try. I have installed the trial version at this time just to try it out.
    I know nothing about how to really work this software yet, but I gave a it a try on some photos that I had taken. Both the night that I took the original pictures and a couple nights later, I did shoot a few pictures, bracketing them in 1/3 increments. I just tried them and I am AMAZED. These look so very close to what my eyes actually saw I just can hardly believe it.
    Again, thanks so much for the input!! It will be my next software purchase!!
    Sorry for the words across the picture, but I just have to share these.
    IMHO, this is what these forums are all about. What a great place to learn!

Thanks, Ron

495221326_VcV5A-L.jpg

The second night did not have as good of light, but I did have my tripod with me.
    495221041_nXipz-L.jpg

edited March 20, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Aaron, man, I can't really tell you how happy I am that you posted in this thread!!!! I have heard people talk about and show examples of HDR work before and kept telling myself that I needed to try it out. Well. your post in this thread finally prompted me to give it a try. I have installed the trial version at this time just to try it out.
    I know nothing about how to really work this software yet, but I gave a it a try on some photos that I had taken. Both the night that I took the original pictures and a couple nights later, I did shoot a few pictures, bracketing them in 1/3 increments. I just tried them and I am AMAZED. These look so very close to what my eyes actually saw I just can hardly believe it.
    Again, thanks so much for the input!! It will be my next software purchase!!
    Sorry for the words across the picture, but I just have to share these.
    IMHO, this is what these forums are all about. What a great place to learn!

Thanks, Ron

495221326_VcV5A-L.jpg

Ron-

No problem. This forum has helped me significantly and I am more than happy to share my thoughts, ideas, and technics (although very limited) with anyone. I do not like the overdone HDR's eaither, with a few exceptions for bikes & cars, preferring to simple use it as a way to recreate what I saw. It took me a while to come around to it- ask Kdog & Nikolai deal.gif but I am glad I have.

Look forward to seeing more from you now that you have a new toy to play with.

I like this shot that you posted. Very nice.

Aaron Newman