Darling Harbour, Sydney

skumar25skumar25 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited April 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi,

I'm new to Dgrin.

Here are some pictures I took in Darling harbour in Sydney.
Would love some comments and some brutally honest criticism. :D

Thanks!
487166724_zWHVj-L.jpg
487166593_oPXZg-L.jpg
487166707_shbsE-L.jpg
487167124_shi6C-L.jpg
487166984_GH4Dj-L.jpg
487167843_gDy8z-L.jpg
487167621_Qarxi-L.jpg
487168047_A9RRu-L.jpg
487168347_74znn-L.jpg
487168226_WwCDP-L.jpg

Comments

• skumar25skumar25 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Anyone!?! :cry
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    The cardinal rule of landscape work is shoot at dawn or dusk, but never any other time. These are nice photos but in very harsh light which produces way too much contrast. Others here will give you better feedback I'm sure. Personally I like #3 and #5. Keep posting and welcome to dgrin :D:D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I actually really like #8 with the reflections of the water on the underside of the boat! It's a great example of a creative use of light, any light, and making something conventional just a little unconventional. :D

I enjoyed the walkabout of Sydney! Thanks for sharing with us thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 21, 2009
    I too like the reflections on the underside of the boat. #3 has good potential as well--what would make it better is to let the monorail lead the train out of the shot more towards the corner and maybe down about half way? In other words, give the train a place to go.

Welcome and look forward to more shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    You have a sense of play - all those tone variations! - and a sense of humour - the three-master of the last!

As Dan said, like horses for courses, it's light for locations. I don't agree that you should only shoot landscapes when the sun is coming up and going down. Sure you get nice effects that hit a reflex nerve, but if all landscapes were sunrise-sunset lighting, well, I reckon that would be destructively limiting of what is out there to capture.

Anyway, these are not landscape but cityscape. As I rephrased Dan, it's light for locations. Sydney is often glaringly bright, dazzling, as you would know. The harbour sparkles with a very lively light. The city was built under that light and its architecture and colour-scheme, at least in recent times, have responded to, incorporated and restated that light. Just have a look at the buildings in your photos. They have an intense relationship with Sydney light. The Opera House roof is shiny white ceramic tiles!

Darling Harbour's location on the harbour - it's part of the harbour, and its reason for being as a concentration of conference, recreation and sightseeing facilities, right under the city skyline, the crowds that stream around its precinct, all give it a heightened vibrancy on top of the vivacity of the city of Sydney location as a whole.

I doubt that kind of 'light' can be got at sunrise and sunset! I know how stimulating it is in the middle of the day! But just at the time the lights come on, and again in the blackness of night there are other beauties to be got there!

So don't pay too much attention to the soft waxing and waning glow 'rules' of other parts of the world. Sydney needs its own photographic language!

I like #3, that vanishing point you have created is breathtaking! and adds to the futuristic feel of the image. However, I think the buildings and the monorail need to pop more, the sky is too dulling, and I'd clean the dropped icecream off the pavement!:D
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin!!

I'd have to say #3 and #7 are my favorites. I like the comp and treatment of #3 and the color and wide angle of #7.
    edited March 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    The cardinal rule of landscape work is shoot at dawn or dusk, but never any other time. These are nice photos but in very harsh light which produces way too much contrast. Others here will give you better feedback I'm sure. Personally I like #3 and #5. Keep posting and welcome to dgrin :D:D

Thanks for your comments. These were taken in the late afternoon, but the sun was still quite high. I will try reshooting at dust.
    edited March 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I actually really like #8 with the reflections of the water on the underside of the boat! It's a great example of a creative use of light, any light, and making something conventional just a little unconventional. :D

I enjoyed the walkabout of Sydney! Thanks for sharing with us thumb.gif

Thanks very much, that is probably my favourite too.
    edited March 21, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I too like the reflections on the underside of the boat. #3 has good potential as well--what would make it better is to let the monorail lead the train out of the shot more towards the corner and maybe down about half way? In other words, give the train a place to go.

Welcome and look forward to more shots!

Thanks very much. I can picture the shot you'rs describing, I'll go back and give it another try some day.
    edited March 21, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin!!

I'd have to say #3 and #7 are my favorites. I like the comp and treatment of #3 and the color and wide angle of #7.

Thank you very much.
    edited March 21, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    You have a sense of play - all those tone variations! - and a sense of humour - the three-master of the last!

As Dan said, like horses for courses, it's light for locations. I don't agree that you should only shoot landscapes when the sun is coming up and going down. Sure you get nice effects that hit a reflex nerve, but if all landscapes were sunrise-sunset lighting, well, I reckon that would be destructively limiting of what is out there to capture.

Anyway, these are not landscape but cityscape. As I rephrased Dan, it's light for locations. Sydney is often glaringly bright, dazzling, as you would know. The harbour sparkles with a very lively light. The city was built under that light and its architecture and colour-scheme, at least in recent times, have responded to, incorporated and restated that light. Just have a look at the buildings in your photos. They have an intense relationship with Sydney light. The Opera House roof is shiny white ceramic tiles!

Darling Harbour's location on the harbour - it's part of the harbour, and its reason for being as a concentration of conference, recreation and sightseeing facilities, right under the city skyline, the crowds that stream around its precinct, all give it a heightened vibrancy on top of the vivacity of the city of Sydney location as a whole.

I doubt that kind of 'light' can be got at sunrise and sunset! I know how stimulating it is in the middle of the day! But just at the time the lights come on, and again in the blackness of night there are other beauties to be got there!

So don't pay too much attention to the soft waxing and waning glow 'rules' of other parts of the world. Sydney needs its own photographic language!

I like #3, that vanishing point you have created is breathtaking! and adds to the futuristic feel of the image. However, I think the buildings and the monorail need to pop more, the sky is too dulling, and I'd clean the dropped icecream off the pavement!:D

Thanks very much for your comments Neil.

Sydney is very photogenic and shines in bright daylight. A slightly lower sun would have given a different mood to the photos.

I'll try different processing for #3. I agree, the little uitlity cover is a bit distracting. I'll try and photoshop it out.
  • lenseyelenseye Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2009
    Light
    I agree with dlplumer's comments regarding timing of making images.This is the ideal timing. Anyway, I appreciate your effort.
    edited March 31, 2009
    lenseye wrote:
    I agree with dlplumer's comments regarding timing of making images.This is the ideal timing. Anyway, I appreciate your effort.

Thanks Lenseye.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Shoot later but not too late.
    I did some shots of Darling Harbour at dusk proper but that deep blue sky of the afternoon was a little too washed out by then. You have a window of an hour or so before dusk where the sun is low enough to avoid blowing highlights on the lighter architecture and, on a clear day, the sky is still a nice blue.

Also, don't forget that Darling Harbour looks fab at twilight and into the night:

446195467_2sUZL-XL.jpg

446194920_HHAKN-XL.jpg
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    There is another perspective - looking out Darling Harbour towards the Bridge, with the conference centre and hotel on the left. I don't have any, and it might need a WA to do, but I remember that as being a very nice experience.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix