DSS #21 dark direction redux - creepy or captivating?

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited March 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so this is an old idea inspired by a previous DSS that I put on the back burner. Does it fit the noirish murder-mystery genre I'm going for, or is it just creepy? I will have to reshoot to meet the challenge rules anyway, and would like some input on how to improve, or whether it's even worth it. I know I need to adjust the lighting somehow, but not really sure what to do.

494362748_8znTg-L.jpg
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I really like this the way it is. The warm tones complement the "blonde" idea very well. The composition definitely makes me want to pick up the book and read it.
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I like the idea and I think you executed it well. The only thing is I think the font doesn't fit well. It looks like more of a happy font than a murder mystery font (if that makes any sense).
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    This is good thumb.gif .

Maybe it would be even better, if
    - the blood stain on the wall could be a little less flashy?
    - the metal/brass parts and bullets could be a little more shiny?
    Just some ideas.
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I like this a lot. Go for it! Seems like we have a lot of murder mystery fans on this forum. rolleyes1.gifMe included.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I love it, Benjer. Recompose to allow for text/headers when you reshoot, and you've got a keeper there. Glad to see you back in Challengeland!
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Wow, thanks everyone. Great advice and thanks a lot for the encouragement. It's good to be back. I'll post a reshoot soon (will be going out of town until next week but will be back at it then). I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's ideas so far and some really good, thoughtful work. A fun challenge to jump back into for sure!
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Ohh nice look. thumb.gif

You know what might work really well with this shot is to illuminate it via light painting, might give it a darker feel. In fact that gives me an idea.....
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
    edited March 20, 2009
    billtaichi wrote:
    Ohh nice look. thumb.gif

You know what might work really well with this shot is to illuminate it via light painting, might give it a darker feel. In fact that gives me an idea.....

hey, that's a cool idea! Now is that rattling sound coming from your head or mine?? Laughing.gif
    edited March 20, 2009
    sdways01 wrote:
    I like the idea and I think you executed it well. The only thing is I think the font doesn't fit well. It looks like more of a happy font than a murder mystery font (if that makes any sense).

Yeah, fonts are tricky. I spent a lot of time trying to get it to match the color and sheen of the hair, dried rose, and bullets, but you're right it doesn't convey quite the mood I'm going for. I'll try and play with it this weekend, unless I'm too busy shooting in Denver! (Gotta love the birthday mini-vacation!) Woohoo!

BTW, the bloodstain was drawn in Photoshop - my first attempt at creating something that wasn't originally a photograph! It's been through so many processes I've lost track. And now I can't get seem to tame the hue back down from crimson to a more bloody red. I wish there was an "oxidize" filter. Laughing.gif
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Is the blood on it's on layer? If so you could try putting a layer filled with something like brown above it then setting the layer mode to overlay or harsh light or something like that and then play with the opacity of the brown layer. (may need to do a mask of the blood also and copy the mask to the brown layer) That may give you the "oxidized" look.
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.