494360547_qYFvX-XL.jpg

494360543_UZmt8-XL.jpg

494386663_QeWNE-XL.jpg
5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6

Comments

• lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hmm.. Her face and lips are still the same in these shots. Did you give her some pointers?
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Simply stunning work here!

Great art!clap.gif
  • ScrubsScrubs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    for tone, contrast and exposure - I like 5. I also like 6 & 7 but would like to see it cropped a little different and the same tones as 5.

I'm finding it tough to choose a bikini shot - she looks so uncomfortable in those big shoes in that bikini set and they they are drawing my attention.
    8 & 9 are better, but 11 looks like she's slipped a disc in her back :D

I can see that in these pics there is an inclination to create a sense of movement. But in my eyes the shoes are restricting this - I would
    lose them next time. the heels in the other shots don't stand out so much and appear so restricting, they are emphasised a lot more in bikini
    shots and appear a bit too chunky.

I like the poses in 2 & 3 most - nicer lines.

Number 4 is too soft.

I know I can only choose one but I chose five (2,3,5,6,7) I Prefer these out of the whole set - I think they are the stronger ones.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I think 2 for the full body, 6 for the headshot. I'm having a harder time with the swimsuit because, like scrubs has mentioned, she does look pretty uncomfortable. If I have to have to choose, I'd pick 8.

Do you have shots of her not in the middle of moving? And maybe without those shoes? The thing with chunky shoes is they make the feet look chunky. While it's fine if you're trying to sell the shoes and pose accordingly, it's not so flattering otherwise. You want to make the model look lean and long; high heels work well because they give that oomph to the butt and make the calf muscles define. Imo chunky heels negate that because they draw your eyes to the big heels. Weighs em down.

I think for next time (if there is one), to make her pose more natural, just think of contrapposto. Tell her to rest her weight naturally. I look at some of her shots and her weight is resting oddly. Ease into the movements and tell her to hold a pose if it works. Just my 2 cents though.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    4 is the best of the headshots, but it looks to me like it's not fully in focus - a shame as she shows a lot more life in that one. But because of the focusing issues, #5 has to be my choice.

8 or 9 for the swimsuit

Full length is the least successful, I think - I guess it would have to be #1 - although the twisting of her feet distracts me, her face looks reasonably alive.

I don't know if there's a chance for another reshoot or not - some of these are noticeably better, but she's still not projecting enough personality and 'tude, and her body angles don't always work for her.

Does she practice in a full length mirror? Seriously - she needs to see for herself what she looks like when she poses (witih particular attention to her eyes and her hands). It's a real shame that she's having such trouble delivering the energy/life/looks/whatever you want to call it, because she's got all the physical qualities - her figure's great, she's got great bone structure and she's essentially a really pretty girl, and your shots are photographically fine.

Good luck with it!
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ahhh.... Following on from my last comment. I just read your other thread regarding this model and now I can see the reasoning
    behind the 'big shoes'

For the benefit of people who havent seen it. It's because the model is applying for 'next top model' and the requirements
    are she has to be 5'7 and she is only 5'2.

I presumed their was some motive behind them but wasn't gonna ask. Like Manikris suggested - Sleek narrow heels would be much
    better with a stronger stance - head on.

because its like she has put these shoes on to gain 5" but her poses are all bent leant back etc.. taking them 5" right back off - kind of defeating the idea. Also, tell her to bear in mind that photos are not to scale, they are not gonna be able to determine her height from them alone shoes or no shoes. I would think something fishy was going on if I were reviewing these noticed these huge heels in every shot.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Scrubs wrote:

For the benefit of people who havent seen it. It's because
    the model is applying for 'next top model' and the requirements
    are she has to be 5'7 and she is only 5'2.

Hrmm I'd have to read it again, but I thought that the 5'7" wasn't a requirement this time, which was why the model can participate since she's 5 inches shorter. I'll look for it later after my nap lol.
    edited March 19, 2009
    save you some nap time thumb.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1065596&postcount=1

Although it does say 5'7 and under.... so I presume she would be fine either way.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Full body I like #1 but these seem awkard stances. Head shot is a winner with #4, very nice. On the swim shot I like #8 the best. Compare 8 & 9. Look at the foot position. Always try to keep the front foot more forward facing in the direction of the body as in #8. In 9 it is back and look at how broad it makes her hips look. A no no for the ladies.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Scrubs wrote:
    save you some nap time thumb.gif

Just woke up - thanks, scrubs rolleyes1.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Sorry, still none..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    The shoes with the swimsuit are hideous. Other than that they all seem pretty OK but nothing really stands out. Use whichever you like best.

Gene
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    She going to try for next top model 5'7' and under and this was her second shoot with me she wanted to use those shoes? And I was trying to get more life in the shots but it wasn't happening tried movement walks, spins, music, but this may be my week point how to get a model to do the right things and or moves I have singed up for Nikolai's work shop in June hope that will help
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
    edited March 19, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    ...this may be my week point how to get a model to do the right things and or moves I has singed up for Nikolai's work shop in June hope that will help
    It will, I swears..:-) mwink.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, still none..ne_nau.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    i keep wondering to myself if a smile might make her look more comfortable in front of the camera?! Anyone else agree? I know when I get people laughing I always get better pictures. She looks so innocent so this might work for her. Also, being a short person myself... wedge heels just don't work for us. I would try some really high thin heels. They will elongate her legs instead of making them look shorter and thicker (not that this girl could ever look thick...hahaha) I really don't like the bent back pictures. She looks like she is going to kill herself!
    edited March 19, 2009
    nicki2414 wrote:
    i keep wondering to myself if a smile might make her look more comfortable in front of the camera?! Anyone else agree? I know when I get people laughing I always get better pictures. She looks so innocent so this might work for her. Also, being a short person myself... wedge heels just don't work for us. I would try some really high thin heels. They will elongate her legs instead of making them look shorter and thicker (not that this girl could ever look thick...hahaha) I really don't like the bent back pictures. She looks like she is going to kill herself!
    It's not the smile, or the lack of thereof... It's her lack of confidence and understanding WTH she's doing up there... ne_nau.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Two words come to mind...of which these all lack. Animation and Moxy. They both go hand in hand portraying confidence, attitude and surety. The dangling arms, backward bends not only look uncomfortable to the viewer but certainly is exhibited by your model. She needs to come across as "I'm the best, I'm the hottest, I've got what it takes". Our job as photographers is to get that from them. At times we need to demonstrate...standing right where they stand, showing them the look and feel. Once they see it, have them imitate it.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited March 20, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Two words come to mind...of which these all lack. Animation and Moxy. They both go hand in hand portraying confidence, attitude and surety. The dangling arms, backward bends not only look uncomfortable to the viewer but certainly is exhibited by your model. She needs to come across as "I'm the best, I'm the hottest, I've got what it takes". Our job as photographers is to get that from them. At times we need to demonstrate...standing right where they stand, showing them the look and feel. Once they see it, have them imitate it.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif

And I have the "lead by example" sample: Brother ISO showing Rock Genie how to "hold the Sun":

395902419_MDKDN-XL.jpg
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Six and seven look a little cool compared to the rest. Did you do this intentionally?

Swimsuit...she seems to have a red blotch on her camera side...

Over all, really nice...

Thanks for sharing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed