The new dress

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited March 19, 2009 in People
Samantha's favorite color is green. She was particularly happy when my wife bough her a new, green dress.

494290584_hP9C2-XL.jpg

494290643_zSGnw-XL.jpg

494290607_kLZcP-XL.jpg

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Your daughter is absolutely adorable and all of your kids have amazing eyes Mitchell! I like the series a lot. I wish the background were a bit lighter. It appears a little heavy for the subject.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ahh! She looks so grown up! Adorable dress on an adorable girl. I love #2.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Your daughter is absolutely adorable and all of your kids have amazing eyes Mitchell! I like the series a lot. I wish the background were a bit lighter. It appears a little heavy for the subject.

Thanks, Travis.

I really struggle with the background lighting in my garage during late afternoon shooting. I just can't get enough ambient lighting back there. My bigger problem is that I tend to shoot with an 85mm, f1.4 lens which is nice but requires a lot of TLC and contrast adjustment which further darkens the background.

I appreciate your comments.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Ahh! She looks so grown up! Adorable dress on an adorable girl. I love #2.

Thanks, Elaine.

According to Samantha, she is all grown up!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Mitchell, very beautiful daughter. I love her hair. In post 3 or 4 you said you couldn't get the light back there. Have you tried shooting parallel with the light. Have here sitting 4 or 5 feet from the open door ( not in direct sun) about where the opening begins with the rest of the opening in front of her. This is the perfect spot for a soft light effect. Have her face away from the light and bring her head back toward you for a short lightning effect on her face (the above photos are broad lite which makes the face appear to be broad). The light should wrap around just enough to fill in the shadow side.
    edited March 19, 2009
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Mitchell, very beautiful daughter. I love her hair. In post 3 or 4 you said you couldn't get the light back there. Have you tried shooting parallel with the light. Have here sitting 4 or 5 feet from the open door ( not in direct sun) about where the opening begins with the rest of the opening in front of her. This is the perfect spot for a soft light effect. Have her face away from the light and bring her head back toward you for a short lightning effect on her face (the above photos are broad lite which makes the face appear to be broad). The light should wrap around just enough to fill in the shadow side.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've played around with a more directional type of light in the past. Is this what you mean?

401696599_tQzQp-L.jpg

The biggest problem with this is that my garage is actually a function garage that has lots of clutter (bikes, etc...). I just don't have any room to shoot that direction. The broad, soft, flat light I get with the subjects facing out the garage door seems to be my best shooting direction but does result in a lack of facial shadow.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Yes, much better lighting. Looking at the picture turn her more to your right and bring her head back to the left and you would have a great short lighting pattern on her face.
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Yes, much better lighting. Looking at the picture turn her more to your right and bring her head back to the left and you would have a great short lighting pattern on her face.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can give it a try.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Very cute =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG