Springtime Baby

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in People
This family is so much fun to work with. And the baby is gorgeous!

1.494498207_5WTNn-XL.jpg

2.494496442_b76Y6-XL.jpg

3.494518002_CrYep-XL.jpg

4.494518222_BKRvP-XL.jpg

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Wow, look at that hair! :D What a cutie. I love the backlighting but I think you need a bit more fill on their faces. Were you using a reflector of any type? It looks like it was a fun shoot.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Beautiful baby and a funky family! Look at mom's hair!!

I'm also curious how you lit their faces with the strong backlighting. Looks like you could have used a little more fill. A reflector would have been great.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Beautiful baby and a funky family! Look at mom's hair!!

I'm also curious how you lit their faces with the strong backlighting. Looks like you could have used a little more fill. A reflector would have been great.

I had my sb600 on a light stand. Unfortunately, I did not have a stand for my reflector, and did not bring an assistant. I really should have taken my daughter so I could start training her. This was not a paying gig, and the mommy knows my kids, so it wold have been the perfect opportunity. Oh well. I should have directed the dad more about positioning the reflector closer when he was holding for me.

That sun light was strong! It was a little earlier in the late afternoon/evening than I would have liked, but that was what worked for baby. Darn daylight savings time.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    That sun light was strong! It was a little earlier in the late afternoon/evening than I would have liked, but that was what worked for baby. Darn daylight savings time.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago when I mis-timed my shoot. You can bring up the fill some in post without adding too much noticeable noise. Play around with some dodging as well to see if you find a balance.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    What a cutie...I love her hair =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    I had the same issue a few weeks ago when I mis-timed my shoot. You can bring up the fill some in post without adding too much noticeable noise. Play around with some dodging as well to see if you find a balance.

I may have some time to process these more next week. I had a senior this morning, a baby tomorrow, and then an engagement Sunday. I'm also still finishing up some photos from last Sunday. And this is supposed to be my spring break ( from teaching preschool)! Thankfully (I guess) I don't have anything scheduled after Sunday. I'm hoping to have a week or so off from, and then get busy again. I could really use the income.

I can't take any credit for the cuteness of the baby, or her crazy hair. I just aim to do her justice.

Caroline
  • lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    reflector
    Love the pics and the way you captured so much personality, I think the backlighting really suits the whimsical atmosphere. I woudl ike to know more abotu reflectors-- resources anyone. I'm self-taught and never taught myself about them :) I'm guesing it bounces light onto the fce to get rid of shadows? --Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    #1 is priceless!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!