Harsh Light

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 22, 2009 in People
494640383_zvR4j-M.jpg

...and nearly "garage" light.(natural light)
494639841_TW8uG-M.jpg

Bare flash
494636942_j8Avx-M.jpg

Bare flash
494635599_kzr89-M.jpg

Just scoping out a new location or two.

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Jeff, I really like #2. I think it's his best pose of the bunch. I particularly like how the lighting and the colors complement each other. Nice work.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Absolutely LOVE these, #1 in particular. Was this a different day, or had he just warmed up by then? He looks sooooo much more relaxed in this series. That's not to say I didn't like the other set, because I do, very much (using that car as a prop was an inspired choice!) but he just seems much more "comfortable in his own skin" in this batch.

thumb.gifthumb
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I like #1. Bg matches the subject! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Jeff, I really like #2. I think it's his best pose of the bunch. I particularly like how the lighting and the colors complement each other. Nice work.

Thanks Mitchell,

Your preference to #2 wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he was standing just in...out of the sun....from a huge opening in the building, huh?ne_nau.gif I thought ...."Mitchell".....when I pressed the shutter!

BTW...how far away are you from....Destin.....or Sanibel Island?
    edited March 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Absolutely LOVE these, #1 in particular. Was this a different day, or had he just warmed up by then? He looks sooooo much more relaxed in this series. That's not to say I didn't like the other set, because I do, very much (using that car as a prop was an inspired choice!) but he just seems much more "comfortable in his own skin" in this batch.

thumb.gifthumb

This was a different day.

I thought he did fine both days....considering....he is normally allergic to cameras.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    while I expect to see some orange/red cast due to the lighting..it appears a touch too much on my uncalibrated work monitor...especially #2. I only say this becasue I have never seen this kind of color cast in any of your previous photos.headscratch.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like #1. Bg matches the subject! thumb.gif

Good eye Nik....His lean mimics ...almost exactly...the shape of the wall.:D
    edited March 19, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    while I expect to see some orange/red cast due to the lighting..it appears a touch too much on my uncalibrated work monitor...especially #2. I only say this becasue I have never seen this kind of color cast in any of your previous photos.headscratch.gif

Im not seeing it.

In fact, #1 is much oranger.....later in the afternoon....and in direct sunlight.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Im not seeing it.

In fact, #1 is much oranger.....later in the afternoon....and in direct sunlight.

I agree that #1 is oranger..but I kinda expected that from direct light. #2 though is all reflected light but i still see mdeium red/orange cast on teh skin. *shrugs* since no one else is pointing it out I imagine it is just my monitor. eek7.gif

EDIT: yup..it was my work monitor. I am looking from different monitor and red/ornage cast is completely gone.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Awesome location. I REALLY like the last one. I too see a little bit of an orange-ness to them, but I like it none the less.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    These are very nicely done, Jeff.

Speaking personally, I don't get the same feeling of connectedness of him and the setting that I did in the Chevy shot. Here, I feel he is just plonked down in this place and posing. Still, similar to what divamum said, he does have a relaxed and confident poise.

The one I looked at longest and repeatedly is the last one. Not, I think, because I like it the best but because I see an interesting idea in it. As it is, maybe he is a bit too small in the frame, and too much is in focus. But I think the bigness and depth of the background matches the strength of character in the subject. I can imagine a stronger pose - his hands out of his pockets - the camera angle low and to one side of him (though without losing all the nice strong squareness), and getting the wall, graffiti and the doorway looming behind and above him. But YMMV! :D

Enjoyed these a lot. Thanks!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 20, 2009
    Awesome location. I REALLY like the last one. I too see a little bit of an orange-ness to them, but I like it none the less.

Thanks...

I nearly always finish my images a tad to the warm side of things. I prefer warm to cool in images.....I can never seem to pull off cool very well.
    edited March 20, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    These are very nicely done, Jeff.

Speaking personally, I don't get the same feeling of connectedness of him and the setting that I did in the Chevy shot. Here, I feel he is just plonked down in this place and posing. Still, similar to what divamum said, he does have a relaxed and confident poise.

The one I looked at longest and repeatedly is the last one. Not, I think, because I like it the best but because I see an interesting idea in it. As it is, maybe he is a bit too small in the frame, and too much is in focus. But I think the bigness and depth of the background matches the strength of character in the subject. I can imagine a stronger pose - his hands out of his pockets - the camera angle low and to one side of him (though without losing all the nice strong squareness), and getting the wall, graffiti and the doorway looming behind and above him. But YMMV! :D

Enjoyed these a lot. Thanks!

I know what you mean about connectedness. I assure you though that he dragged me here rather than versa visa.:D

I think I will try to use the place again....okay...you WILL see this again!....but I will wait for the right person....and I aleready have one in mind....and the shot I have in mind is based on the last image.(just your luck)

I actually like the composition of it.....a lot.....the way he is framed in the doorway.....small in the frame. I like that.....but the pose is.....I shoulda had hime jump......something....anything.....I was using the STE2 to fire the flash and popped this frame off as a test to be sure I wasn't too far away. I should have made more of it.....but.....This is a 4x6 crop......nearly sooc save for some minor straightening. It is nearly usless to me for print since the neat comp that I like would be lost in any other ratio. Next time....I will be smarter about it. At least I think I can!mwink.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I know what you mean about connectedness. I assure you though that he dragged me here rather than versa visa.:D

I think I will try to use the place again....okay...you WILL see this again!....but I will wait for the right person....and I aleready have one in mind....and the shot I have in mind is based on the last image.(just your luck)

I actually like the composition of it.....a lot.....the way he is framed in the doorway.....small in the frame. I like that.....but the pose is.....I shoulda had hime jump......something....anything.....I was using the STE2 to fire the flash and popped this frame off as a test to be sure I wasn't too far away. I should have made more of it.....but.....This is a 4x6 crop......nearly sooc save for some minor straightening. It is nearly usless to me for print since the neat comp that I like would be lost in any other ratio. Next time....I will be smarter about it. At least I think I can!mwink.gif

Look forward to that thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    (Did I really never comment on this post?? headscratch.gif)

Very nice photos. Again, I envy you for the location. The rusty containers (?) make a prefect background!!! The light is quite harsh, but I actually like it, and you did a great pp job!! iloveyou.gif

Boy, this guy sure has a great set!!! iloveyou.gif Are you going to make a senior book for him?
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks...

I nearly always finish my images a tad to the warm side of things. I prefer warm to cool in images.....I can never seem to pull off cool very well.

Well in that case, keem 'em warm 'cause you ROCK :D
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe