Nikon SB-600 BL Mode???

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Cameras
For some reason, my SB-600 is not giving me BL mode as an option. It has in the past with all of my lenses and now it doesn't show up as an option. I get iTTL and Manual only.

I've tried turning the unit and camera off/on, I've removed the unit from the hotshoe, I've switched lenses, but nothing. I've looked at the lens mount and everything looks OK... no dings or anything. I haven't dropped the camera or my lenses so not sure what's going on.

Any help will be much appreciated.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    What camera are you using? I think the camera must be turned on and the flash must be attached to the camera for TTL BL to work with an SB-600. I don't think it works that way as a remote flash.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    What camera are you using? I think the camera must be turned on and the flash must be attached to the camera for TTL BL to work with an SB-600. I don't think it works that way as a remote flash.

I have a D300. I don't mean remotely, my problem is with the SB-600 flash on the carmera. What I meant is I have tried removing and replacing the flash unit from the camera to see if it would "reset". That did not work.

???

My Smug Site
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I just through my SB600 on and it will only set to BL once the camera is turned on. Goes to TTL with camera off.

Try placing on camera, turn camera on first, then the flash.
    Steve

Website
    edited March 19, 2009
    Have you tried resetting the flash?
    Steve

Website
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Have you tried resetting the flash?

When you say "reset", what do you mean? headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hold the Mode and On/Off button together. It will reset the flash back to specs.
    Steve

Website
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hold the Mode and On/Off button together. It will reset the flash back to specs.

I have not tried that... I will give it a shot and report back.

Thanks for your help!!

My Smug Site
    edited March 20, 2009
    Figure out the problem...
    Seems that TTL BL is not available when you have you camera set to Spot Metering. I changed to Matrix Metering and TTL BL became an available option.

My Smug Site