Options

Advice: macro for Nikon D80

OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited April 11, 2009 in Cameras
Last summer I borrowed a Tamron 90 mm macro lens for a few days and had a lot of fun with it ... and actually managed to produce a few decent photos.

Now I'm considering buying myself a macro but I'm unsure what lenses to consider. The Tamron is of course an alternative but is there some other lenses that I should consider?

I'm using a Nikon D80
--
Jan Erik Moström

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro
    Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro
    Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro
    Nikkor 105mm 2.8 macro (I love this one)

Let me add the Sigma 28-90mm macro. While on its own, not the greatest macro, but when coupled with a set of Kenko tubes, it is superb. I can go from 8 inches to 4mm. You need more light, but highly recommend it.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    +1 for the sigma 105mm. it is 1/2 the cost of nikkor version and a very good thought not stellar lens
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited March 19, 2009
    I wound up purchasing the Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP and it is a great lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro
    Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro
    Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro
    Nikkor 105mm 2.8 macro

++++1 to each of these! check prices and see what works for you. Bang for buck, the Sigma 50mm macro is the best bargain. the Nikon 105mm is the best lens.

Course, I prefer my Nikkor 60mm but I can acknowledge better ones out there too :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out and compare prices.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Since I prefer not to be nose to nose with some of the things I would macro.......

Sigma 150 f2.8
    Sigma 180 f3.5

do believe both are full frame so if you were to ever pull that plug they could go with you.....as a matter of fact all the
    Sigmas listed are FF...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 22, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been looking at the prices and various tests of different macro lenses.

I found two other lenses that none have mentioned but the tests suggests that these two lenses offer a lot for the money
    • Sigma EX 70/2,8 DG Macro 1:1
    • Tokina AT-X M100/2,8 Macro 1:1 PRO D

In the reviews I've found they a recommended before Tamron 90mm lens and Sigmas 105mm. Does anyone have some opinions about these two?
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2009
    Opps wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been looking at the prices and various tests of different macro lenses.

I found two other lenses that none have mentioned but the tests suggests that these two lenses offer a lot for the money
    In the reviews I've found they a recommended before Tamron 90mm lens and Sigmas 105mm. Does anyone have some opinions about these two?

I wound up purchasing a Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP 1:1 Macro and it holds up even to close scrutiny of the 21MPix Canon 5D MKII images. I'm happy. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    I'm planning on buying the Tamron 90mm F2.8 as well - a great lens by all accounts, in Pentax mount or otherwise. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Another vote for the Tamron 90. I've had mine about a month and I am very impressed. It's about 1/2 the price of the Nikkor 105VR, and 1/2 the weight.

You can see some excellent sample images here.
  • Options
    ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Sigma 70mm EX DG Macro is their sharpest lens.
    Opps wrote:

The Sigma 70mm EX DG Macro is the sharpest lens that Sigma makes. Popular Photography noted in their review that it was thesharpest lens they have ever tested. I have the 50mm EX Macro and the 105mm EX DG Macro, both extremely sharp also. I'm sure the Tokina takes sharp photos too but I have no experience with it. One thing I can say about the Tokina is that the build quality is absolutely excellent.
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    I have been looking for a macro lens for my D90 as well. I was considering the Nikkor 60mm and 105mm, the two Sigma lenses, and the Tamron 90mm. Since I haven't done macro before, I was considering used, and the previous version of the Nikkor lenses to try out to see if I enjoy macro photography. I was really hoping to spend $300-$400 max on a used lens. Any thoughts on whether or not I can get a decent lens in this range? I also received the suggestion of the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and extension tubes, which I could get new within that price range as well.

Thanks.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2009
    bfluegie wrote:
    I have been looking for a macro lens for my D90 as well. I was considering the Nikkor 60mm and 105mm, the two Sigma lenses, and the Tamron 90mm. Since I haven't done macro before, I was considering used, and the previous version of the Nikkor lenses to try out to see if I enjoy macro photography. I was really hoping to spend $300-$400 max on a used lens. Any thoughts on whether or not I can get a decent lens in this range? I also received the suggestion of the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and extension tubes, which I could get new within that price range as well.

Thanks.

I believe you will find that the Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP is available in that price range and you can often find them for less used. By f8 it is indeed one of the sharpest lenses in my collection. Wide open it is not quite as sharp in the edges as some competitors' offerings, but it is overall a very good "true" 1:1 macro lens.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy! I appreciate the quick response.

I will probably search for a used lens since I haven't tried macro yet and it may not be something I want to continue. If I do have to go with a new lens, it's nice to know that there aren't many compromises I will have to make by going with a lower cost option. I don't expect that I would be using this lens at wider apertures very often, so the loss of sharpness in those situations won't hurt much.

Thanks again.
    ~~Barbara