First Post - let me have it

wvrockswvrocks Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited March 20, 2009 in People
Hi all, first post here. Just thought I'd share a couple of my favorite recent shots and see what the group has to say. I'm here to learn and become a better photographer. I shot and processed a lot of 35mm B&W in high school for the yearbook and newspaper. Kind of got out of it in college. I'm trying to get back into shooting and processing now, just digital this time around. Great site here and I look forward to being a useful member of this community

These 2 photos are straight from the camera. No processing or cropping.

#1 Shot at, of all things, a community kickball game to kick off the Olympics.
494781559_YyCfK-XL.jpg

#2 Intradepartment swiftwater training for my VFD

494781437_RSCvi-XL.jpg

Darren
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comments

• Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Welcome!! They look great....something very interesting about #1 =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    wave.gif - Hi!

15524779-Ti.gif about #1. IMNSHO - you've well used the fence to focus viewer attention on the model/subject. At the same time, you've been able to avoid shadows from the fence to cross through the model's eyes. And, you've got enough light on his right eye that we can still see it. Add all that to the forward lean, sharp focus, and piercing stare and you have a quite strong image.
  • wvrockswvrocks Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Thank you both. There is something about that shot that has always spoke to me. I'm quite proud of it actually. Glad you both enjoyed it.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    wvrocks wrote:
    Thank you both. There is something about that shot that has always spoke to me. I'm quite proud of it actually. Glad you both enjoyed it.

The eye color in #1 really draws me in, especially with the blue shirt and green bandana. Great focus and clarity. The lines of the fence are also very interesting.

Caroline
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    In 1 take a small crop from the right so the subject is not dead center and smidge of sharpening and that is nice.

Second shot needs a levels adjustment, nice action. The back person and front person are cut in half, may want to avoid that on future shots.

Not bad overall.