Dad fixed the camera hunting... surprised me with a Pro1 today ^_^

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited June 5, 2005 in Cameras
So instead of taking me into the city to go to B&H with him... he snuck off early this morning and went down to the city (NYC) by himself... comes back a little late for dinner at our relatives today, and then continually won't admit where he went while we were missing him...

He then has me drive us home and when I park he's just like "surprise!" since I'm going away from June 10th-August 12th (Middlebury College's Japanese Language school, full immersion language program, don't expect to see me on the forums during that time) and my birthday is August 4th / I had been continually talking about wanting to upgrade... he decided to give me an early birthday gift... he was evidently down there for a lot of time today (hence him being late) and decided that this would probably be the best camera for me (my dad had been letting me borrow his Olympus E-10 this week... and he personally uses a DSLR, I think it's a Nikon...)...

I had recently been debating between it and the Canon G6 as many of you know... so hopefully I will like this camera a lot and it will meet my needs... I am currently charging the battery, and will be going on an experimental photo shoot... if for whatever reason I dislike it we can easily return it to B&H within the first week or so... and if there is something wrong after that, he got me a 5 year warranty.

My dad rocks :)

(p.s.- any pro1 users out there- if you wish to give me tips, please do! going to check to see if the latest firmware is on this...)
(p.p.s.- anyone know what would be a good close up filter to purchase for this model?)

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Congrats on the new cameraclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    Congrats Cat! Ohhhh I'm afraid you are hooked now. Hehheh, enjoy! And best wishes for a great school semester! What a nice Pops you have!thumb.gif
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Congrats on the new cameraclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

Eric
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    clap.gif

You have a great dad! Should be a wonderful camera for you. Looking forward to your photos.

Lee
  • nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Whooo hooo, yeeee haaaa. man that is great news clap.gif Well, your dad is just great IMO Shima. What a neat guy thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif . Yep your dad rocks !!!

All the best Shima, huge smiles here for ya, I guess his E-10 is safe :D

Danny.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    So my fellow macro loving friend--- what close up filters can I get / would you recommend for this camera? iloveyou.gif

EDIT: nevermind, I see you replied in the other thread :)

And yes, my dad rocks my world right now :)
    nzmacro wrote:
    Whooo hooo, yeeee haaaa. man that is great news clap.gif Well, your dad is just great IMO Shima. What a neat guy thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif . Yep your dad rocks !!!

All the best Shima, huge smiles here for ya, I guess his E-10 is safe :D

Danny.
    edited May 31, 2005
    My father (taken on the new camera)
    Not the best picture of him, he wasn't expecting it, but it's better than the other picture I have of him yawning, heh:

23525319-M.jpg
  • nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Well hes a good one for sure thumb.gif . Looks like he might have the same problem as me............reading glasses. mwink.gif

Danny.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Congratulations, Shima, what a lovely present. clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    camera ideas
    Well - a camera in hand certainly takes better pictures than a long advice thread. Hope you enjoy it.

Maybe it has a Japanese menu option for the language camp. :D
    edited June 3, 2005
    I've got 12 languages on this puppy, and yes, one of them is undoubtably Japanese. :): I'll pop it into Japanese when I get up to Middlebury :)
    SteveF wrote:
    Well - a camera in hand certainly takes better pictures than a long advice thread. Hope you enjoy it.

Maybe it has a Japanese menu option for the language camp. :D
  • IanZ28IanZ28 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    I've got 12 languages on this puppy, and yes, one of them is undoubtably Japanese. :): I'll pop it into Japanese when I get up to Middlebury :)
    Shima! Congrats on the Camera and the School! You better get out and take some pictures!

Where exactly is this school at? If I'm anywhere around the area I can do a little research for you or maybe provide you with some advice as to where you should be taking that camera!!!

I should have just replied to your email......oh well. And the only other 2 options in this range of camera from all my research were the Olympus C8080 and the Sony F-828 (which has a very fast lens and has manual zoom but, also some pf problems).

I have heard a lot of complaints about the AF speed, and startup time. But, I have also seen some exceptional images from the Pro1. But, don't let me disuade you and your purchase.......it's a better camera than I have and I have no experience with it. It's quite the investment buying a high end camera. I just wanted to make sure you did your research. But, most importantly test the heck out of it. Then decide.

There is an excellent 5 camera comparison at:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

Ian
    edited June 4, 2005
    I've heard that the complaints about AF speed and such were due to the older firmware, mine came with the upgraded firmware already installed and I don't have any problems with it. I didn't purchase it, my dad did :P, so I'm not dissuaded. And yeah, i've already read the Pro1 review on dpreview, that site was my bible until my dad came home with a camera for me.

Middlebury is located in Vermont... about an hour from Burlington airport. It won't help to tell me where I should go shooting- we're not supposed to leave campus unless it's for a trip, as we take a 9 week language pledge vowing only to speak our Japanese, and going off campus would make it way too easy to break our pledge, so it's highly discouraged :(
    IanZ28 wrote:
    Shima! Congrats on the Camera and the School! You better get out and take some pictures!

Where exactly is this school at? If I'm anywhere around the area I can do a little research for you or maybe provide you with some advice as to where you should be taking that camera!!!

I should have just replied to your email......oh well. And the only other 2 options in this range of camera from all my research were the Olympus C8080 and the Sony F-828 (which has a very fast lens and has manual zoom but, also some pf problems).

I have heard a lot of complaints about the AF speed, and startup time. But, I have also seen some exceptional images from the Pro1. But, don't let me disuade you and your purchase.......it's a better camera than I have and I have no experience with it. It's quite the investment buying a high end camera. I just wanted to make sure you did your research. But, most importantly test the heck out of it. Then decide.

There is an excellent 5 camera comparison at:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

Ian
    edited June 4, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    Middlebury is located in Vermont... about an hour from Burlington airport. It won't help to tell me where I should go shooting- we're not supposed to leave campus unless it's for a trip, as we take a 9 week language pledge vowing only to speak our Japanese, and going off campus would make it way too easy to break our pledge, so it's highly discouraged :(
    Ahhhh! I see!

I totally mis-understood! I thought you were coming to Japan! And I was thinking that it would be a great way to practice Japanese - By leaving the campus.

I'm glad to hear about the camera. I was unaware of the firware improvements. I'm sure it will be great for you.
    edited June 4, 2005
    I wish the program were located in Japan! but alas, it's in the middle of nowhere in Vermont...

I've been to Japan once so far, March 1st-10th and I took plenty of pictures while I was there, so you can check them out on my website... they were taken with my old Kodak (a 3.1mp point and shoot camera)...

I really hope to get back there one day... it's a personal goal of mine being that I am a Japanese major and all...
    IanZ28 wrote:
    Ahhhh! I see!

I totally mis-understood! I thought you were coming to Japan! And I was thinking that it would be a great way to practice Japanese - By leaving the campus.

I'm glad to hear about the camera. I was unaware of the firware improvements. I'm sure it will be great for you.
    edited June 5, 2005
    Ahhh.....

I see that you went to Osaka and Kyoto. Very nice. Kyoto is rich with Historical Japanese culture.

You managed to find geisha's as well. That's pretty cool! I haven't found any yet in Kyoto and I've been there 3 or 4 times. Ohh well.

Ian
    edited June 5, 2005
    The geisha's like visiting kiyumizutera- try going there and looking for them, they also enjoy taking the tours on the man-drawn carriages.

I also went to Nara as well :) Saw lots of deer at Nara park, went to the oldest Buddhist temple (the name of which I'm having a memory block on the moment... Gyodai or something like that I think, might be confusing it with another)...

So do you teach english through the JET program or some other program, how do you like it? I'd love to go back and I hear that's a great way to spend a year or two or three. (now if only I could convince my fiance!)
    IanZ28 wrote:
    Ahhh.....

I see that you went to Osaka and Kyoto. Very nice. Kyoto is rich with Historical Japanese culture.

You managed to find geisha's as well. That's pretty cool! I haven't found any yet in Kyoto and I've been there 3 or 4 times. Ohh well.

Ian
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    Make sure you take that Pro1. Middlebury has a very attractive campus and you will find some good shots there. Burlington, VT is a great little town, hopefully you will get to see something other than the airport.
    edited June 5, 2005
    I'm not flying in, I'm driving, it's only like an 8 hour drive for me, which compared to my 14 hour drive to my regular university (valparaiso university in IN) is nothing. I'm definitly planning on taking pictures on campus, everyone who has told me about it says it's a great campus, so I'm planning on getting good pictures since while I may not be able to post on here, I can at least photograph in my absense. :)
    david_h wrote:
    Make sure you take that Pro1. Middlebury has a very attractive campus and you will find some good shots there. Burlington, VT is a great little town, hopefully you will get to see something other than the airport.