First Posting of Quinceanera...

aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 29, 2009 in People
Well here is a few pics I did of my cousin's daughter... I have been so scared to post up pic's becuase there are alot of you that are way better than me and I am still learning alot... So here goes all comments bad or good welcomed please critique...

Thanks

494975266_YYmi5-M-1.jpg

494974507_G3ppo-M-1.jpg

494898197_ncEvX-M-1.jpg

494892049_EQ9KK-M-1.jpg

494976036_4stG8-M-1.jpg

494976858_QGS6S-M-1.jpg

494977172_6aCo3-M-1.jpg

494977801_hrfMa-M-1.jpg

494964527_AF8aV-M-2.jpg

Ok, think I posted enough... Again thanks for any c&c...

Nikon D90
Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
SB-600 Flash

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    My thougths - FWIW

#1 - This is a wonderful image!thumb.gif Very worthy of a bit more attention. I think I would enhance the catchlights just a touch and clone out the two stray hairs on her forehead. Maybe spend a bit more time on the blood vessels in her right eye? And, yes, I grabbed a larger version of this to take a closer look - it was worth the effort as it's a very nice photo.:thrumb

#2 - Clone the bright spot out of the upper left corner. Also, remove the blemish on her lip. I think you did so in #1 (at least I don't see it there) but missed it in this one. Maybe attempt to blur the background a bit?

3, 4 - She doesn't look very happy.

5 - It's pretty centered. Do you have another one of this? This one is a little soft.

6, 7 - These I wouldn't keep - shadows on her face are a huge detractor. They both need quite a bit more fill flash to make them right.
  • aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    My thougths - FWIW

#1 - This is a wonderful image!thumb.gif Very worthy of a bit more attention. I think I would enhance the catchlights just a touch and clone out the two stray hairs on her forehead. Maybe spend a bit more time on the blood vessels in her right eye? And, yes, I grabbed a larger version of this to take a closer look - it was worth the effort as it's a very nice photo.:thrumb

#2 - Clone the bright spot out of the upper left corner. Also, remove the blemish on her lip. I think you did so in #1 (at least I don't see it there) but missed it in this one. Maybe attempt to blur the background a bit?

5 - It's pretty centered. Do you have another one of this? This one is a little soft.

6, 7 - These I wouldn't keep - shadows on her face are a huge detractor. They both need quite a bit more fill flash to make them right.

Thanks for the comments...

On #1 I didn't really do anything but lighten up up a bit and change it to B&W... So I guess I missed the blemish by accident... lol

#2 yea I was trying to do something with the pic because it just didn't look right in color that's why I changed it, I am still learning how to fix things and blur... For some reason it won't blur out the way I want it to, but I'm sure I will figure it out...

On 3 and 4 she was trying to go for that cool look I guess, I have a few that she did that... You know kid's this age...

5 - Well I do have another but it's almost the same.. the only other I have are these

494964764_a7tWv-M-3.jpg

494964740_tPzKQ-M-3.jpg

6 and 7 yea I thought they needed a bit more light in there... maybe i can fix it, huh???

Also I was messing with this picture and as I kinda like her in the pic, not to sure about the background... maybe i did a bit much there...

494974962_w8XLT-M-3.jpg

thanks again....

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    My thoughts - FWIW

thumb.gif What Scott said...as usual...right on. My first thought, outdoor red dress shots, was to use a reflector rather than fill flash, but both or either will work. Her face is a little shadowed and a little more light there would really help. Also, you might want to open up your lens and blur the background some...that way you will point the focus of the picture to the subject and not let the busy background be a distraction as you have with the stream in the bg of number 5...very nice shot...very distracting bg. With a reflector, you can bring the light in from the side...no mechanical stuff to worry about...give your shots a little shadow dimentioning...depth...if you have someone there to help out...parents, friends, etc.

Also, when you post pics for CC...please number them...help us when CC'ing...and no one will have to count down from the top.

One last comment...way to go...very nice. Just listen to Scott...fix a few things...and your off to the races. Thanks for sharing your work.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 20, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    thumb.gif What Scott said...as usual...right on. My first thought, outdoor red dress shots, was to use a reflector rather than fill flash, but both or either will work. Her face is a little shadowed and a little more light there would really help.
    Yup - I tend to favor flash. It takes a little longer to set up but, when I get it right, it works so much easier. Especially for most folks. Reflecting all that light back into the face makes it really difficult for some (most?) to keep from squinting. The flash, on the other hand, is nearly instantaneous - no time for them to start to squint.
    edited March 20, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    thumb.gif What Scott said...as usual...right on. My first thought, outdoor red dress shots, was to use a reflector rather than fill flash, but both or either will work. Her face is a little shadowed and a little more light there would really help. Also, you might want to open up your lens and blur the background some...that way you will point the focus of the picture to the subject and not let the busy background be a distraction as you have with the stream in the bg of number 5...very nice shot...very distracting bg. With a reflector, you can bring the light in from the side...no mechanical stuff to worry about...give your shots a little shadow dimentioning...depth...if you have someone there to help out...parents, friends, etc.

Also, when you post pics for CC...please number them...help us when CC'ing...and no one will have to count down from the top.

One last comment...way to go...very nice. Just listen to Scott...fix a few things...and your off to the races. Thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks for the input... Sorry I did forget to number them will do that...

I need to get a reflector, I had one and gave it away, dumb me... This is actually the first time I've used flash outside, wow does make a difference I guess...

What type of reflectors do you suggest??? I use to have a 32in. but now I see they have 6-in1 reflectors and all kinds of stuff...

Thanks again...

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
    edited March 20, 2009
    Yup - I tend to favor flash. It takes a little longer to set up but, when I get it right, it works so much easier. Especially for most folks. Reflecting all that light back into the face makes it really difficult for some (most?) to keep from squinting. The flash, on the other hand, is nearly instantaneous - no time for them to start to squint.

I know no time to now what hit them... ha ha

except when your in a black room and boom there goes that flash I almost get blinded... do you ever get headaches when shootimg inside with your flash or lights???

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Nice clarity nice color's love them.
    edited March 22, 2009
    aim&shoot wrote:
    I know no time to now what hit them... ha ha

except when your in a black room and boom there goes that flash I almost get blinded... do you ever get headaches when shootimg inside with your flash or lights???
    No, cause my eyes are protected by the camera - the flash doesn't go off until the mirror has flipped up :lol
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    The last grouping is very nice. Great job with the lighting.
    edited March 23, 2009
    No, cause my eyes are protected by the camera - the flash doesn't go off until the mirror has flipped up :lol

Aw, I get some headaches from the flash when it's dark, but mostly i get them more often when i use my studio lighting, them suckers can flash....

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
    edited March 23, 2009
    speedsk8r wrote:
    Nice clarity nice color's love them.

Thanks, the dress was pretty bright....lol

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
    edited March 23, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    The last grouping is very nice. Great job with the lighting.

Thanks for viewing and the comment...

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Nice Shots

The only one I don't like is #4 where she looks sad.
    In the second post I would try to darken the bright
    shoulder in the last photo.
    Have you showed them to her yet?
    Let us know which one she likes the best.
    Thanks for posting

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    are you shooting in RAW?
    edited March 29, 2009
    Nice Shots

The only one I don't like is #4 where she looks sad.
    In the second post I would try to darken the bright
    shoulder in the last photo.
    Have you showed them to her yet?
    Let us know which one she likes the best.
    Thanks for posting

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,

Thanks, yea I will fix her shoulder on her...

She's already looked at them and has choosen one not even from the posted ones I showed here...

Thanks

Nikon D90
    SB-600 Flash