Carrizo Badlands

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited March 22, 2009 in Landscapes
A view of the Carrizo Badlands area of the Anza Borrego Desert. I spent last weekend camping there with some friends and this is the first processed photo I have to show for it.

A 3 frame (horizontal) pano.

494991596_Nknsk-XL.jpg

The frames were quickly processed using Lightroom presets so the color was a bit over done, hence the B&W. I really quite like it in B&W so I'm not sure that I'll go back for the color... I might just focus on the other images...

Any and all comments, critiques or suggestions are more than welcome! :D
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    OK... so that first one looks like I forgot to sharpen it... or maybe I just wasn't focusing corectly... headscratch.gif

Here's a larger pano from the same location... this one was 12 shots, vertical orientation. The trucks near bottom right mark our campsite from the night before...

495198137_DkA7B-X3.jpg

And comments/critiques are welcome! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    ooh, the last one is much better!

interesting S curve there, takes the eye all the way through the frame thumb.gif

Think the choice for B&W is a good one!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Nice work on that second one thumb.gif
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I like the first. Maybe because of the lack of human stuff- maybe because it's a really well done shot :) (and so's the other really).
    Anybody can do it.
    edited March 21, 2009
    ooh, the last one is much better!

interesting S curve there, takes the eye all the way through the frame thumb.gif

Think the choice for B&W is a good one!

Thanks Chris! thumb.gif

Lighting conditions were a little tough across the whole scene, but that huge arcing curve made all the masking I did to try to have a believable exposure across the whole image worth it!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Nice work on that second one thumb.gif

Thanks Dan! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 21, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    I like the first. Maybe because of the lack of human stuff- maybe because it's a really well done shot :) (and so's the other really).

Thanks Walter! :D
    I think I need to PP that first one a little more, but I definitely like the lack of human element. It feels a little cleaner and more pristine.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Good series! Strong comps on both. Like you said, the first one isn't quite sharp, but otherwise it's perfect.

Great composition on the second also with the S-curve winding through the composition, it would probably be better zoomed out just a little so it wasn't clipped quite so much on the left and upper right corner. It's hard for me to think about compositions while shooting panos, I'm just lucky if it stitches together correctly, so good job! thumb.gif
    edited March 22, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Good series! Strong comps on both. Like you said, the first one isn't quite sharp, but otherwise it's perfect.

Great composition on the second also with the S-curve winding through the composition, it would probably be better zoomed out just a little so it wasn't clipped quite so much on the left and upper right corner. It's hard for me to think about compositions while shooting panos, I'm just lucky if it stitches together correctly, so good job! thumb.gif

I think I've got a couple single exposures that I might be able to crop like a pano and pretend I did that first one right... let's just hope I focused those!! rolleyes1.gif

I have trouble composing panos too... to be honest, when I started shooting this one, I hadn't planned for it to go 12 frames but the curve was too hard to resist! I need to remember in the future to give myself a little more lee way when shooting them... that way after Photoshop does it's magic, I don't lose too much on the crop!

Say, you're judging the mini-challenge this time around, aren't you?! On S-curves isn't it? Hmmm... that gives me an idea! mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos