Canon lens compatability

miker27miker27 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 21, 2009 in Cameras
Hey, I've been lurking around these forums for a bit, but this is my first post so first off hey everyone. I've got a bit of an embarrassing newb question, and I hope this subject hasn't been beaten to death. I've got a canon digital rebel, but not too many lenses so i was excited to see this post on craigslist. hoping I could just use the lenses and filters. http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pho/1083608033.html
Now, I understand that all these lenses should mount on my camera, but because the cropping ratio will they all be out of wack? I'm most interested in the wide angle lens as I've already got the kit lens and a can 75-300mm. If it helps I've also been given this picture of the lenses.
?ui=2&ik=7e376d1bed&view=att&th=12026058b4e39a13&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw

Thanks much!
-Mike

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 20, 2009
    miker27 wrote:
    Hey, I've been lurking around these forums for a bit, but this is my first post so first off hey everyone. I've got a bit of an embarrassing newb question, and I hope this subject hasn't been beaten to death. I've got a canon digital rebel, but not too many lenses so i was excited to see this post on craigslist. hoping I could just use the lenses and filters. http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pho/1083608033.html
    Now, I understand that all these lenses should mount on my camera, but because the cropping ratio will they all be out of wack? I'm most interested in the wide angle lens as I've already got the kit lens and a can 75-300mm. If it helps I've also been given this picture of the lenses.
    ?ui=2&ik=7e376d1bed&view=att&th=12026058b4e39a13&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw

Thanks much!
    -Mike

Mike, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

It's hard to tell exactly which lens the poster is referring to as I can't find a Canon 22mm lens anywhere. A picture might help in identification (but your image is not showing).

If you are wondering how a 22mm lens would work on a Canon Digital Rebel (300D), it would yield a similar field-of-view to a 35mm lens on a full-frame (or 35mm film) camera. It would be a moderate wide angle lens on the Digital Rebel.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • miker27miker27 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 21, 2009
    thanks for the response! Let me try again with the pictures, i think the lens is actually a 24mm 2.8, but I'm having trouble finding a lot of info on it, and the seller does not know.
    IMG_0003.jpg
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    What kit lens do you own? If it covers 18mm, then this 22 would not really be of any help. Of course, it is possible that the Sigma lens, being a prime, would be a rather sharp lens, but considering the other lenses in the set, it likely is not one of Sigma's higher end lenses. That zoom is a Quataray, not the most well respected lenses around.

For wide angle, I use a 10-20 lens, and beyond 20, I dont really consider it all that wide these days.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 21, 2009
    It does appear to be a Sigma 24mm, f2.8 Macro Super Wide (or possibly Super Wide II). This is a pretty old film lens and may not work properly on a modern digital camera. I have 2 older Sigma lenses, a 28mm, f1.8 and a 70-210mm, f2.8, APO and neither will shoot at other than their widest aperture and the 70-210mm will often fail to focus outward. In both cases I believe it is a communication protocol issue between body and lens as a result of changes made to the Canon cameras starting with the 10D forward.

There is a chance that the lens might work on an old Canon D30 or D60 dSLR. There is a better chance that it will not work with any Canon dSLR because the lens appears to have problems working with the film series Elan and A2.

You could also check with Sigma to see if they are still re-chipping this particular lens, but it is not likely. (Sigma would not re-chip either of my 2 old lenses.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums