Options

When to use ND filter or CirPolarizer?

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited June 3, 2005 in Technique
I've used the ND's with IR on my Sony camera, but was wondering, in landscape situation:

When should you use a N Density filter in standard landscapes, and when to use Circular Polarizers? I'm not sure what the difference is?

And is a ND no.2 a good idea in bright situations like mid day? Or would that be the time for a Circular polarizer? [I bought a new lens and found some decently priced Hoyas]
Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    NDs for when you want to slow the shutter speed down in sunlight. The most common is to get those neat misty waterfalls. It will alllow you to shoot in daylight at such a slow shutter speed without blowout.

The polarizer is for either to prevent glare or reflection from a bright sun or to deepen color contrast. Put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and see the change in colors to get an example. I love my B+W polarizers. They make all the difference for water shots.
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    I was wanting to ask that same question. I was shooting midday today and everything turned out great except the sky, which was a little too bright. I was thinking of maybe getting a graduated ND to try and keep the sky from blowing out. Don't they make them in halves and quarters too?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    I was wanting to ask that same question. I was shooting midday today and everything turned out great except the sky, which was a little too bright. I was thinking of maybe getting a graduated ND to try and keep the sky from blowing out. Don't they make them in halves and quarters too?
    If you get something like the Cokin system, you can adjust for yourself where the divider should be on a graduated ND filter. Just slide the thing up and down.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    If you get something like the Cokin system, you can adjust for yourself where the divider should be on a graduated ND filter. Just slide the thing up and down.
    That's the square filter system that mounts to your lens, right?

I've seen those, but was a little leary of getting something like that. Mainly because I didn't know if I'd need one for each lens, or if it would work for all of my lenses.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    Thomas,

The graduated ND filter is an option, but it's just one more thing to carry.

You can achieve the same result by taking two exposures. One exposed for the foreground and one exposed for the sky and then blend them together in post.

Check out this tutorial written by luben...
    http://solev.net/tutorials/stacking_intro.htm

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2005
    Linda,

I typically used my Circular polarizer at the beach or somewhere I really want to enhance the blueness of the sky/water.

Additionally, u can use to reduce reflections in glass, water, etc. For example shooting through a window, you should be able to eliminate the reflection in the glass.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Thomas,

The graduated ND filter is an option, but it's just one more thing to carry.

You can achieve the same result by taking two exposures. One exposed for the foreground and one exposed for the sky and then blend them together in post.

Checked this tutorial written by luben...
    http://solev.net/tutorials/stacking_intro.htm

Cheers,

David
    Thanks for the tip David.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    Thanks for the tip David.
    Thanks for the info everyone, and dave for the link.
    What about those days where its beautiful out, not too blown out with glare. Do you shoot with no filters then?
    I was wondering if investing $20 on a ND+2 IS WORTH IT JUST TO HAVE IT?
    sorry about caps, lol, accident

I have a UV, and circular polarizer and like the CP, but which one takes all the sparkle out of water? The UV?

Thanks guys..:): I guess my assignment tomorrow is to go try the same shot with all of them so I get the picture better...;~)

Ohh and I see alot of good info in the Yosemite/buy for post. Great reading, thanks!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Net, the polarizer will fix the water. Don't forget to rotate it to see the variations it offers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 31, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    That's the square filter system that mounts to your lens, right?

I've seen those, but was a little leary of getting something like that. Mainly because I didn't know if I'd need one for each lens, or if it would work for all of my lenses.

The Cokin filter holder accepts a threaded adapter for almost any size of filter ring from 49mm to 82mm or so - I know I own the 58,67,72 and 77mm threaded rings that then snap into the filter holder to hold the graduated neutral density filters. Lee and Singh-Ray filters also fit this holder. Mine are from Singh-Ray and called a Galen Rowell set. also This is a much better system than a screw in GND filter, as it allows you to raise or lower the filter to place the area of gradient change precisely as you look through the image. With the screw in type it will be centered whether you want it centered or not.

The one disadvantage with the Cokin system is that is moves the filter out further from the front lens element as can cause vingetting with a wide angle lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Thanks for the info pathfinder. I may check that one out down the road.
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Cokin filter holder accepts a threaded adapter for almost any size of filter ring from 49mm to 82mm or so - I know I own the 58,67,72 and 77mm threaded rings that then snap into the filter holder to hold the graduated neutral density filters. Lee and Singh-Ray filters also fit this holder. Mine are from Singh-Ray and called a Galen Rowell set. also This is a much better system than a screw in GND filter, as it allows you to raise or lower the filter to place the area of gradient change precisely as you look through the image. With the screw in type it will be centered whether you want it centered or not.

The one disadvantage with the Coin system is that is moves the filter out further from the front lens element as can cause vingetting with a wide angle lens.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005
    lots of great info here; thanks everyone.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Would you use a NDno2 filter for a washed out bright day? Or would the UV suffice?
    I'm still a bit confused. When is the best use of UV filters and when should you switch to a polarizer? Are they that similar? I did some shots today, with both , and also without any, and the only difference I saw was the photos were darker with the circular polarizer.

So generally speaking, you don't use them all the time? What makes you decide when to pop one on? thanksmwink.gif

Angelo wrote:
    lots of great info here; thanks everyone.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    UV on a dslr is really only for protection of the lens. Mosts dslr's have their own UV protection built in. For washed out heavy sunlight, the circular polarizer will help in deepening the colors. You'd also want to lower the exposure a couple of ticks.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Thanks Khaos, appreciate the help. Now I just need to get out there more. Going to Yosemite soon, and don't want to muff up good shots ;~)
    I also found this link, for anyone who wants added info:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml
    Khaos wrote:
    UV on a dslr is really only for protection of the lens. Mosts dslr's have their own UV protection built in. For washed out heavy sunlight, the circular polarizer will help in deepening the colors. You'd also want to lower the exposure a couple of ticks.