Here's a bunch of food photography.

494830899_rdKRR-S.jpg

495279242_xLf89-S.jpg

495279207_4mBsk-S.jpg

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    C & C
    We're you wanting to share or did you want commentary?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Commentary will be fine!

I need to hone my food photography skills for college.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Commentary will be fine!

I need to hone my food photography skills for college.

With food photography, you need to be very careful about arrangment of the food. For example, you want it to look like it will taste great. The ketchup is not well presented. It might do well in a small side dish, or arranged with a pointy squeeze obttle on the edge of the plate. Presntation is very important. I was not sure what the ketsup was serve on - onion rings?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited March 21, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    With food photography, you need to be very careful about arrangment of the food. For example, you want it to look like it will taste great. The ketchup is not well presented. It might do well in a small side dish, or arranged with a pointy squeeze obttle on the edge of the plate. Presntation is very important. I was not sure what the ketsup was serve on - onion rings?
    Hash browns Laughing.gif. I'm still learning all about food photography
  • EatMyShotEatMyShot Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    rice and beens... economy special
    copy_righted_p011.jpg

basic food - gourmet lookforumscopy_righted_p011.jpg
    edited March 21, 2009
    EatMyShot wrote:
    copy_righted_p011.jpg

basic food - gourmet lookforumscopy_righted_p011.jpg[/quoteThe photo looks good, but the dish doesn't.
  • EatMyShotEatMyShot Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I agree Chile, the rice is a bit dry (it's been in a fridge for a day). Eat This.
    copyRight_f009.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    EatMyShot wrote:
    copy_righted_p011.jpg

basic food - gourmet lookforumscopy_righted_p011.jpg

Dude, talk about economical! Only 4 beans!!! Nice shot, BTW.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    EatMyShot wrote:
    I agree Chile, the rice is a bit dry (it's been in a fridge for a day). Eat This.
    copyRight_f009.jpg

This one is awesome.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Here's a bunch of food photography.

494830899_rdKRR-S.jpg

495279242_xLf89-S.jpg

495279207_4mBsk-S.jpg

Hi chef!

With food photography you should really look into

1) presentation of the food
    2) background
    3) lighting
    4) depth of field
    5) pp

The first is not an easy task but the least dependent on expensive gear. Look into exclusive recipe books and learn from the masters! Look at your own shots and try to find out where they differ. Be crititical of how you present food, but keep in mind your audience (are they high cuisine or diner type? rolleyes1.gif )

The second is a bit more difficult but relatively easy to pull off. If you get a nice white backdrop or something of a luxury wood that can serve as a background for your plate of food, it wont distract from your subject. I think investing in a very pretty plate and some fancy looking cutlery is something that will help a lot and wont cost much.

Lighting can be difficult, it really depends on what kind of camera you have (point and shoot or dslr?, does it have a hotshoe on top?). if you have a hotshoe you can use a flash and diffuse it. diffuse light can work miricles for this kind of photography and is almost a must. flashs are expensive though. Look into one of those product photography boxes. these are white linnen boxes that give a great white (seamless) background and a flash from outside gives nice diffuse light. they have them in the netherlands so they must have them in the US! rolleyes1.gif

fourth.. depth of field lets you select what the viewer sees, and gives the nice out of focus backgrounds. depending on your camera this can be difficult to accomplish. if you dont have a dslr try to zoom in as much and standing further away to get the smallest depth of field.

fifth, dont go into selective colouring with food. grey food gives people automatically the feeling its rotten and makes people gag. you dont want that no? :D You CAN try to blur parts of your image to create a depth of field effect and make your veggies (?) look nice and green.

hope it helps, keep posting your efforts and you will grow REAL quick! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited March 28, 2009
    Hi chef!

With food photography you should really look into

1) presentation of the food
    2) background
    3) lighting
    4) depth of field
    5) pp

The first is not an easy task but the least dependent on expensive gear. Look into exclusive recipe books and learn from the masters! Look at your own shots and try to find out where they differ. Be crititical of how you present food, but keep in mind your audience (are they high cuisine or diner type? rolleyes1.gif )

The second is a bit more difficult but relatively easy to pull off. If you get a nice white backdrop or something of a luxury wood that can serve as a background for your plate of food, it wont distract from your subject. I think investing in a very pretty plate and some fancy looking cutlery is something that will help a lot and wont cost much.

Lighting can be difficult, it really depends on what kind of camera you have (point and shoot or dslr?, does it have a hotshoe on top?). if you have a hotshoe you can use a flash and diffuse it. diffuse light can work miricles for this kind of photography and is almost a must. flashs are expensive though. Look into one of those product photography boxes. these are white linnen boxes that give a great white (seamless) background and a flash from outside gives nice diffuse light. they have them in the netherlands so they must have them in the US! rolleyes1.gif

fourth.. depth of field lets you select what the viewer sees, and gives the nice out of focus backgrounds. depending on your camera this can be difficult to accomplish. if you dont have a dslr try to zoom in as much and standing further away to get the smallest depth of field.

fifth, dont go into selective colouring with food. grey food gives people automatically the feeling its rotten and makes people gag. you dont want that no? :D You CAN try to blur parts of your image to create a depth of field effect and make your veggies (?) look nice and green.

hope it helps, keep posting your efforts and you will grow REAL quick! thumb.gif
    Thank you Chris, I own an D-SLR SXI and the original rebel, I also have a canon ae-1 program slr, My mom gave me the program slr, This does help a lot, I'm just working with what I got, I didn't know about the selective couling? I'm sure my professor will teach me all that in photography 101 I will be taking that class in June at NMC.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thank you Chris, I own an D-SLR SXI and the original rebel, I also have a canon ae-1 program slr, My mom gave me the program slr, This does help a lot, I'm just working with what I got, I didn't know about the selective couling? I'm sure my professor will teach me all that in photography 101 I will be taking that class in June at NMC.

Hey chile chef!

If you have a dslr you should really look into depth of field, flashes and shooting RAW to get the optimal results. But try the presentation and background tips first (something about lipstick and pigs :D )

selective colouring is what you did in the first shot and in you recent self portrait. its a b&w photo with coloured parts. i think you should really try to evade this in food photography. good luck and have fun with your class thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com