DSS 21 C&C My first Challenge!

billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited March 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok this will be my first challenge! Be gentle :rolleyes
So what do ya think? Is it ok, is it crap or do I need to think about moving to Saudi Arabia and starting a sand farm as I would have better luck with that?

495477128_rjRux-XL.jpg
Remember wherever you go, there you are.

Comments

• billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Hears the wind blowing down the deserted street........
    :s85
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    I think the main issue with this photo is the noise. It is really noisy. You'll notice that folks in the challenges don't usually prefer that.

The other issue is the knife tip is only a teensy bit away from being cropped. It just draws your eye out of the frame rather than into it.

I am not sure what the wood in the back is for, but it only goes part way across the frame and so is a "Wonder what is back there?" distracting element.

But I think the biggest issue is that there are so many things to pull your attention and no clear subject for the photo. What is it that you want us to look at first?
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Totally agree with hetherfeather. Great concept though.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback! Actually the original picture is not really noisy that is the result of a couple filters and a harsh light mode on a layer in PP. I was sort of going for that look since it was a book cover but maybe that doesn't really go here.

I agree about the knife being too closely cropped, I didn't have a large working space and was trying to keep other background stuff out, but didn't quite work the way I hoped, guess I need to recompose the scene. I Put the wood box in because I liked the wood background , maybe I can find some wood that will go all the way across the frame.

Ok back to the drawing board!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Totally agree with hetherfeather. Great concept though.

+2 15524779-Ti.gif