My first macro... well sort of anyway.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in Holy Macro
This is my first attempt at this type of photography. I don't think this is considered macro since I didn't take it with a macro lens. I took this with my Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. It's also my first time ever using my new SB-600 flash remotely. I did very little post on this. I basically cropped the image a bit and adjusted the curves just to add a little pop.

Please, I would really love any and all feedback, pros and cons:

495480567_XCc4s-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Lovely capture- more of a closeup than a macro. Lovely focus. colour, and composition. Good colour contrast means the subject shows up well against the complex background. well done :)
    Brian V.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Thanks Brian. I realized this was not a true macro shot but thought this was the best place to post. I really love your photos. I have been very tempted to purchase a macro lens. It seems that often I don't have time to drive someplace to shoot interesting landscapes and such. I have been thinking that macro photography may be something that I can do in the comfort of my backyard when I don't have the time or energy to drive someplace.

I shoot Nikon and know you shoot Canon, but can you guide me in the right direction as to what to look for in a macro lens? Do I want a longer focal length prime or shorter? How about lighting.... looks like you make your own rigs which I am pretty handy and can probably do. I have a speedlight but don't have a bracket. Is that necessary? What should I look for in a bracket? I did a search a at least a hudred different models came up, ranging from $30 to $300.

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks,
    Alex

My Smug Site
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    This is my first attempt at this type of photography. I don't think this is considered macro since I didn't take it with a macro lens. I took this with my Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. It's also my first time ever using my new SB-600 flash remotely. I did very little post on this. I basically cropped the image a bit and adjusted the curves just to add a little pop.

Please, I would really love any and all feedback, pros and cons:

Nice going with the Flash, you hardly got any highlight blowouts at all clap.gif
    I know snails are pests, but I like to watch them, not much stops them,
    they seem to be able to conquer any surface.

Well Done thumb.gif ...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 22, 2009
    very nice Alex, good composition.
    look for a macro lens around 100mm, thats the best focal length for general macro, sigma, tamron both recommended.
    take a look at my gear thread for flash bracket info-
    gear shots-
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=119252

phil
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    very nice Alex, good composition.
    look for a macro lens around 100mm, thats the best focal length for general macro, sigma, tamron both recommended.
    take a look at my gear thread for flash bracket info-
    gear shots-
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=119252

phil

Thanks Phil. So you recommend Sigma?

I've been looking at the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8. Seems it get's good reviews and there are a couple for sale on the local craigslist for around $400. I see that Sigma also makes a similar lens. I have other Sigma lenses that I am very happy with so if I can save some money by going Sigma, that would be helpful.

Is that ballhead bracket you have picture store bought or is it DIY? If store bought, who makes it?

Thanks for the information.

My Smug Site
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    I shoot Nikon and know you shoot Canon, but can you guide me in the right direction as to what to look for in a macro lens? Do I want a longer focal length prime or shorter? How about lighting.... looks like you make your own rigs which I am pretty handy and can probably do. I have a speedlight but don't have a bracket. Is that necessary? What should I look for in a bracket? I did a search a at least a hudred different models came up, ranging from $30 to $300.

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks,
    Alex

I normally recommend a macro lens around 100mm as ideal. Tamron 90, Tokina 100, sigma 105, Nikon 105 are all excellent optically. A flash bracket is not absolutely necessary but gives better light if you can keep the flash diffuser near the end of the lens. I modded an old vidcam light bracket by fitting a cheapo ballhead to it. The nearest I've seen to this is a Hakuba LH-1 ballhead bracket (Ebay) but you would still be advised to replace the ballhead with a larger generic ballhead with a 1/4" screw fitting on it (goes in the bottom of the off camera flash cord). PM me if you have any other questions.

Brian V.
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    That's a great shot. Its all about the composition.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

edited March 24, 2009
    I normally recommend a macro lens around 100mm as ideal. Tamron 90, Tokina 100, sigma 105, Nikon 105 are all excellent optically. A flash bracket is not absolutely necessary but gives better light if you can keep the flash diffuser near the end of the lens. I modded an old vidcam light bracket by fitting a cheapo ballhead to it. The nearest I've seen to this is a Hakuba LH-1 ballhead bracket (Ebay) but you would still be advised to replace the ballhead with a larger generic ballhead with a 1/4" screw fitting on it (goes in the bottom of the off camera flash cord). PM me if you have any other questions.

Brian V.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply and the info. I am now shopping for a 105mm macro lens. I am leaning towards the Sigma based on the value of the lens. I will also be picking up the ballhead an the bracket.

I hope to be posting more images in this forum in the near future. Pretty excited about it. wings.gif

My Smug Site
    edited March 24, 2009
    amg2833 wrote:
    That's a great shot. Its all about the composition.

Thanks Anthony.

My Smug Site
  • Daver2112Daver2112 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Really beautiful shot! You did very well.thumb.gif