Canon Err 01

PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in Cameras
Got the "Err 01" message on the 5D with the 24-105 F4 lens during the trip last week. The shutter did not return or took a long time to return.
The 5D works fine with the 17-40/70-200 even with 2X.
Put the 24-105 on the old 300D, same message came out.
It may be the lens problem. Cleaning the contacts did not help.
I cannot find the troubleshooting guide related to Err 01. Need some advise from the experts.
Photoskipper
flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 21, 2009
    Got the "Err 01" message on the 5D with the 24-105 F4 lens during the trip last week. The shutter did not return or took a long time to return.
    The 5D works fine with the 17-40/70-200 even with 2X.
    Put the 24-105 on the old 300D, same message came out.
    It may be the lens problem. Cleaning the contacts did not help.
    I cannot find the troubleshooting guide related to Err 01. Need some advise from the experts.

Since the error is isolated to one lens I suggest that you need to clean the contacts of the lens again. That error is often a communication failure between the camera and lens.

Also see if the mounting plate on the lens is loose. We had one DGrinner with that problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since the error is isolated to one lens I suggest that you need to clean the contacts of the lens again. That error is often a communication failure between the camera and lens.

Also see if the mounting plate on the lens is loose. We had one DGrinner with that problem.

Thanks, Ziggy.

I did clean and clean the contacts on both lens and body. It did not work. Problem got worse and became 100% failure with the 24-105 F4.

Brought to Canon service centre with the 5D. The manager confirmed that the power module of the diaphram in the lens burnt. ????? It needs to be replaced and the estimated cost is about US 170. I left without any choice but sign on the agreement and let them start to repair.

BTW, the mirror drop off in the 5D is free replacement.

Will update what they found and the cause of "burnt".
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 30, 2009
    ... The manager confirmed that the power module of the diaphram in the lens burnt. ????? It needs to be replaced and the estimated cost is about US 170. I left without any choice but sign on the agreement and let them start to repair. ...

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully they can repair it quickly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums