#22 Big Yellow Bus

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I may go back later for a reshoot when the shadows are falling the other way. I had hoped to get a closeup of the serried ranks, but the depot has a big ole locked gate on it - I felt like I was trespassing just sticking my camera through the chain link!!!

There's another angle from a hill that's kind of cool (even if it means standing in the slip lane by the freeway entrance!!!), but that definitely needs the shadows reversed, or even better, straight overhead so that there's no obvious direction. However, I kind of liked the "one way" sign - it just cracked me up (but I accept that may be just my warped sense of humour and not funny to anybody else!)

Thoughts? (ps - this is the first shot I've worked up with a screen calibrator (YYYAAAYYYY!!) - how does the colour look to others? I did add a warming filter and some saturation to this, but is it in the ballpark?)

~~image removed - scroll down for re-edited shot(s)~~

Also, now that I'm using my beyond-praise Tamron for most things (boy did I get a sharp copy of that thing!) and the 85 1.8, I find my long lenses deeply disapopinting in compraison... ah well, time to start saving up for some L glass, I guess!!! :rolleyes ::muttergrumbleneversatisfieddarneedexpensivehobbymuttergrumble:: :rofl)

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Weell they might use a different color of yellow for buses up here, but it looks a bit orangey to me. And I agree that a different shadow/light would work better especially with those tree shadows on the top of the buses. But this is a great concept! Loving it.

iloveyou.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Very, very nice. The photo looks a little dark to me. I'd like to see a bit more detail in the tires. Of course, that could be my monitor, which is due for recalibration.

The sign cracks me up too. rolleyes1.gifIt definitely adds that priceless little extra to the photo.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Thanks y'all!

Heather, ours are kinda orange-yellow here, but maybe I overdid the warming filter a tad (still getting used to the calibrated monitor - seems uncalibrated I have a STRONG blue cast - which explains why I've overwarmed so many shots in the past, and old habits die hard :giggle)

Glad somebody else got the sign gag - I thought it was just my absurd sense of the absurd!!

I just went back again in the hope that the shadows would be otherwise placed, but in fact I got my orientation wrong (the road curves around right by the depot) so they were in fact worse. Maybe if I get up early enough tomorrow I can catch them more appropriately placed. Or maybe I'll just start cloning the tops of the buses rolleyes1.gif

I sooooo wish I could get in close, but it's seriously gated - I'm just hankering to do a shot from low down right along the serried ranks. Or, alternatively, that I could get WAY up high and shoot down on all of them... it just cracks me up seeing close to 200 school buses lined up like that!

ETA: actually, just looking at the 2nd batch on the 'puter and because some cloud cover had come along, they may in fact be better for lighting... watch this space....
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 21, 2009
    edited March 21, 2009
    Ok, here's what I've got... have at it with the C&C!

1 (rework of similar shot to the one I first posted, but taken under cloud cover and hopefully not supersaturated beyond recognition :)

495961209_P4VWo-L.jpg

2 Different crop
    495961333_aNfuJ-L.jpg

3 Reverse
    495961277_bDs2e-L.jpg
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Oh, this is much better. The color is better too. Hard to say which I like best.
    It is too bad that last bus driver on the first photo doesn't know how to park his bus in symmetry. Actually now that I think on it, I like the last photo best because for some reason I find that little bit of woods a skoash distracting. Though I do love the one way sign funny with the buses pointing the wrong way.

So you have a title yet?
    I think it should be:
    The Fleet
    Yellow Fleet
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    I like #2, with the bigger crop. The buses loom larger and the numbers on the bumpers are brighter.

Nice job!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    I just have to love how that ""one way" sign is beating down the buses, head on, in #2.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited March 22, 2009
    Oh, this is much better. The color is better too. Hard to say which I like best.
    It is too bad that last bus driver on the first photo doesn't know how to park his bus in symmetry. Actually now that I think on it, I like the last photo best because for some reason I find that little bit of woods a skoash distracting. Though I do love the one way sign funny with the buses pointing the wrong way.

So you have a title yet?
    I think it should be:
    The Fleet
    Yellow Fleet

Thanks Heather! I actually like the last one best too, except that all that foreground bugs me. I just wish I could have got IN there and gone for a similar shot, but closer to the nearest bus... Ah well, it is what it is :)

Thanks for the feedback! Still musing on a title. At the moment I'm leaning towards "The Wheels on the Bus" (actually, I like ".... go round and round", but it is a bit obtuse if you've never had a toddler!!!)
    edited March 22, 2009
    Thanks Leaforte and Redleash - seems like #2 is the one most people like (my husband likes that one most as well). Thanks for the feedback!!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Love these photos. Yes, the results are better with the cloudy light Iclouds are a huge soft box!). While the contrast was a bit much in the earlier shot, I did rather like the saturation.

# 2 gets my vote. The one way sign gives the photo that little something extra. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited March 22, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Love these photos. Yes, the results are better with the cloudy light Iclouds are a huge soft box!). While the contrast was a bit much in the earlier shot, I did rather like the saturation.

# 2 gets my vote. The one way sign gives the photo that little something extra. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Thanks Gina! Yes, "God's Softbox" worked very nicely :)

I still wish there'd been an angle to get the WHOLE fleet, but such is life - I'm afraid my passion is not enough to have me climb and stand on the wall of an overpass many feet above a busy freeway... rolleyes1.gif
  • ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    #2 great idea!!- I can understand your hesitation on climbing and standing on wall above an overpass!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com