Some ideas for an easter session

nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited March 22, 2009 in People
I was just contacted by a client with 3 girls from 1 month to 10 years old. They want to do some easter photos of the girls. They want to use props (yikes!) I don't have much experience using props nor do I have any so do you guys have any ideas/photos to share using easter props. I don't want to spend a ton on them. Maybe $20.00? I don't want to make them look cheesy either and I just keep feeling like that is how they will look with a bunch of stuffed animals and baskets laying around.

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Are you doing these in studio? What about some very elegant blown eggs. They would be cheap to make, but they are fragile. Another possibility is to paint some wooden eggs that are available at craft stores. What if you put the baby in a nice basket surrounded by the eggs? I usually don't do props, so I'm just trying to brain storm.

Caroline
  • fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Some cheap & easy props for Easter pictures are baskets with easter grass & eggs. Have them sit and place the baskets behind them (if they are tall baskets) or to the side. Spread the eggs around & let them hold/play with them! A bunny or lamb or chick stuffed animal works pretty well also. It doesn't have to be anything too complicated. Typically the more simple the prop- the better the photo! :) If you look in your local Target- ours has had cute white or pink bunny ears in the dollar section. It's always good to get the girls interacting with each other. Have fun & just do a lot of your standard shots with these props mixed in!
  • nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Ok so tonight at work (lol good old walgreens photo lab employee here... the 20% emp discount on photos is really nice and boy have I learned from other peoples mistakes...hehehe) I purchased about 150 easter eggs, and a couple of baskets.

I love when great minds think alike. I got home and got on dgrin to check the post and you guys have the same idea!

I think Im going to try some with the newborn IN the easter basket and definatly going to use the easter eggs ALL around the three kids. If its nice out here I might take the kids outside and let them sit in the grass to add some nice spring colors to the pictures too. (here in ohio thought I have no idea if I will be able to get this plus our grass hasn't really turned green yet. still a little brown from the winter.)

Im still a little overwhelmed by the idea, but starting to feel more comfortable. The mom just called me today to set up the shoot for next saturday so only a week to prepare. I might do some test shots with my 2 year old to see what work. They also want me to do some baptism photos of the newborn and some mommy, daddy and baby shots so it should be a very full night of shooting. Im just hoping I can get it all in on one night and really hoping the baby cooperates!
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    To add what PP have contributed, maybe stop by the local arts and craft store and pick up some bright spring blooms of the faux floral variety. That way you can use them again in something a little less specific as an Easter shoot. Well worth the minimal investment. Here's an example of one I did with my daughter a few months ago, and since I have used the same blooms for 1st birthdays and Easter portraits for clients.

492040872_q3MgB-S-9.jpg
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Props are expensive to buy.
    But there are so many other options!!
    Hit local stores, Wal-Mart, Target, GoodWill, any second-hand stores who sell children stuff should be loaded with cheap toys/props, etc.

Be creative and good luck!! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Oh, and I forgot to add...check places like Craigslist! I've picked up a few antique toys/wagons there for CHEAP!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!