Canon 40D, 24-70mm f2.8L

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome!

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Hi Neil,you have made a much better job of this view than I did last year - there was so much smoke haze you could hardly see the headland in the background - plus you have got the soft evening light - nice composition :D .
    Cheers, Richard.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Neil,you have made a much better job of this view than I did last year - there was so much smoke haze you could hardly see the headland in the background - plus you have got the soft evening light - nice composition :D .
    Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard, thanks for commenting. I saw a shot of yours of Tassie in Other Cool Shots and left a comment.

This is the coast NE of Hobart in Tasmania, Australia, near a location called Eaglehawk Neck, which is a narrow stretch of land connecting a peninsular and the island. The peninsular is what you see in this photo. In the late 18th century a penal colony was established on the peninsular, the narrow neck of connecting land making for easy supervision of who went out!

This is a snap handheld from the roadside. Obviously there are a thousand photographic masterpieces in this coast, and the rest of Tassie, but I was just travelling through this time. I look forward to planting myself in Tassie soon for a couple of months and getting a few of those masterpieces. :D

I think this image looks a bit undersaturated. Part of the problem is the gum trees which, as of course those who know Australia know, are a greyish green-brown, bluish at a distance. Not what many people are used to seeing and expect.

There is a major problem area in the image which I didn't quite fix. I wonder if anyone can spot it. If they can, or can't, either way that will useful information for me.

There is also a lot of noise. I can improve the pixel quality with another go at development.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 23, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

There is a major problem area in the image which I didn't quite fix. I wonder if anyone can spot it. If they can, or can't, either way that will useful information for me.

There is also a lot of noise. I can improve the pixel quality with another go at development.
    The light is nice and the view is grand. I don't see a saturation problem. Is "contentment" supposed to refer to the tiny cow or to the photographer? lol3.gif IMO, the cow is too insignificant to deserve a place in the title. I'm not sure whether I am looking at rocks in the water or the very tops of the trees in the lower left, but perhaps that is clearer in a full-sized version. If not, you might want to clone those bits out. Those are nits, but I think that besides the noise (easily fixed), there are some local contrast issues that need work. I played around with the image a bit using a combination of shadow/highlight--which helped the sky quite a bit--and high radius low amount USM--which brought out a little more detail in the forest. I like it better, but it might not be what you had in mind. I'll send you the result by PM, and you can post it if you like.

If I haven't touched on the problem area you see, well, I guess it went over my head.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    497283310_Swn33-L.jpg

Many thanks for this, Richard. I follow your process and see the merit in it. thumb.gif

Yeah! You spotted the spot! The original was underexposed (so what's new? :cry) and the area where the cow is, and another area directly center foreground under those first trees, were plugged. The cow was invisible! rolleyes1.gif

In lifting those areas (by brushing in a mask) I lost saturation, which I also had to use the mask to restore. The area in front had to be oversaturated to blend, but to make the cow area blend I had to lower the saturation. The part of that area where there are trees is still visibly different and the brushed area can be distinguished.

As for the title, I posted an earlier pic called 'Trees and Contentment', and this second pic and a couple of others fit that theme. I certainly get contentment from the close company of big healthy trees. I can't speak for the cow :D There were even tinier cows in the previous pic rolleyes1.gif

Some types of eucalypts grow their canopy in tiers, so those are not rocks in the water. There are several other examples in this pic. I only saw the possiblility of them looking like rocks when you mentioned it, and indeed they could well be if you didn't know otherwise.