RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited March 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
495643816_gvQ3T-L.jpg

C&C always appreciated.

Comments

• Daver2112Daver2112 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Ramps
    I really like this shot, and it B&W it's even better. Excellent point of view.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 23, 2009
    Daver2112 wrote:
    I really like this shot, and it B&W it's even better. Excellent point of view.

Thanks, Daver. I think this might be a "so what?" shot. The photographer sees something appealing in a banal scene, but just about everyone else thinks, "so what?" Occupational hazard, I guess. rolleyes1.gif Oh well.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    "So What" photography. Important topic Richard.
    Highly so in my estimate.
    Where does one go forward with that discussion?
    :D Michael
    Michael
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think it would have been better without the bird poo.ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited March 24, 2009
    Icebear wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think it would have been better without the bird poo.ne_nau.gif
    I thought it didn't matter, given the overall grittiness of the image. But I went back and cloned it out, and I believe you're right. I like this one better:

497924712_DCo88-L.jpg

It's probably still a so what? image, but a little less yucky. Thanks for the comment, Icebear. thumb.gif
    edited March 24, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    "So What" photography. Important topic Richard.
    Highly so in my estimate.
    Where does one go forward with that discussion?
    :D Michael

Well, we could start right here and if others are interested, I could move the discussion to a separate thread.

So what's your take, Michael?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Yeah, poo-less is better.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I like this one better:

I also noticed the poo, and thought maybe it fit in with the grafiti - but now that you have taken it out, I like it better gone.

What would happen if you cropped it some? Maybe take just a hair-width off the top to lose whatever is above the top row of bricks, from the right enough to cause the lower rail to be just cut off, and from the bottom enough to exclude the lower ramp.

I don't know if that would improve things. But sitting here holding some paper over the image on my monitor makes me think it might make the rails stand out more.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
    edited March 29, 2009
    I also noticed the poo, and thought maybe it fit in with the grafiti - but now that you have taken it out, I like it better gone.

What would happen if you cropped it some? Maybe take just a hair-width off the top to lose whatever is above the top row of bricks, from the right enough to cause the lower rail to be just cut off, and from the bottom enough to exclude the lower ramp.

I don't know if that would improve things. But sitting here holding some paper over the image on my monitor makes me think it might make the rails stand out more.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bruce. How's this?

500979329_pjTUh-L-1.jpg

It's simpler than the original image. Simpler is usually better, IMO.
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bruce. How's this?
    . . .
    It's simpler than the original image. Simpler is usually better, IMO.

I like it! The nearest rail seems bolder now that it runs off the page (and I suppose it is bigger in the frame too) - it has more "attitude".

By the way, I meant to say earlier that I'm a fan of your work. LOVE your "Eneggma" (don't know why, that must be part of the puzzle of it. :-)
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
    edited March 29, 2009
    I like it! The nearest rail seems bolder now that it runs off the page (and I suppose it is bigger in the frame too) - it has more "attitude".

By the way, I meant to say earlier that I'm a fan of your work. LOVE your "Eneggma" (don't know why, that must be part of the puzzle of it. :-)

Cheers, Bruce. You must be another eggcentic. thumb.gif Oh and thanks again for the crop suggestion. I like the latest version better than the original.