#3:
496005855_YyusN-L.jpg

#4:
495976500_Acmbf-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 22, 2009
    the first 3 are ok as far as train pics....but they have no wow factor. Now #4 really stands out of the bunch. The movement of the train is wow and you were standing pretty close to a moving train!! Impressive!thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    the first 3 are ok as far as train pics....but they have no wow factor. Now #4 really stands out of the bunch. The movement of the train is wow and you were standing pretty close to a moving train!! Impressive!thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

What she said!
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Thank you both for the feedback! :D
  • Options
    Grampa DougGrampa Doug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    I don't know what you're using for post processing software. If you use Lightroom 2 or ACR I would jack up the fill light slider on the first three. The shadows are plugged, no detail. Too much contrast. Maybe a boost the brightness, too. Taking a portrait of a train and making it look interesting requires more than standing next to it, look at the detail of the subject, find something that draws your attention, focus on that. Look for a way to frame that detail. I've attached a different crops that include the fill light adjustment. Anyone?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Karla,

I agree with Diva and Jag, go with number 4. However, the image seems a bit flat to me. Can you work the curves a bit to see if you get get a bit more pop?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    I don't know what you're using for post processing software. If you use Lightroom 2 or ACR I would jack up the fill light slider on the first three. The shadows are plugged, no detail. Too much contrast. Maybe a boost the brightness, too. Taking a portrait of a train and making it look interesting requires more than standing next to it, look at the detail of the subject, find something that draws your attention, focus on that. Look for a way to frame that detail. I've attached a different crops that include the fill light adjustment. Anyone?

I appreciate your comments with regards to the composition of that image. I went back and looked at the color image it came from, and all of the detail is apparent in the shadows and highlights. So that tells me that I need to work on my black and white conversion techniques some.

Karl (not Karla)